Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oneschance

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
ann arbor mi
i have the 3G.
i started a new ATT account with a new number. i am trying to avoid manual imput of all my tmobile sim contacts. i do not have mobile phone tools for my old phone and a lot of my contacts are not on my PC to be synced.

are there any issues with temporarily putting my still activated tmobile sim in my 3G only to import my contacts?

theunlocker

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
It was easy for me! I popped in my T-Mobile sim and then went into settings and Mail,contacts. Then go down and it says import sim contacts. easy as that

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
i have the 3G.
i started a new ATT account with a new number. i am trying to avoid manual imput of all my tmobile sim contacts. i do not have mobile phone tools for my old phone and a lot of my contacts are not on my PC to be synced.

are there any issues with temporarily putting my still activated tmobile sim in my 3G only to import my contacts?
It depends on how you have your contacts stored on your SIM. When transferring contacts from SIM card to iPhone 3G, only the first number listed for each contact will be transferred to the new device. If any secondary numbers are listed under a contact they will not be transferred.

theunlocker

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2007
It depends on how you have your contacts stored on your SIM. When transferring contacts from SIM card to iPhone 3G, only the first number listed for each contact will be transferred to the new device. If any secondary numbers are listed under a contact they will not be transferred.

Yes he's right when I transfered my contacts it didn't transfer the contacts home number (secondary for me) so it's sorta a bummer. AT&T said they would transfer your T-mobile contacts to your iPhone with no problem.

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
i have the 3G.

If you have a tmobile phone with bluetooth you could sync it with Contacts in OSX using isync and then those contacts will sync over to the iPhone. This is how to do it for a Mac. I am sure there is a way to do the same on a PC (provided your old phone has bluetooth)

vikitec

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
My Experience

I have a 3G. I had a T-Mobile SGH-T509s.
I popped in the tmobile SIM card, then tapped iphone 'Import SIM contacts'.
It didn't work. All of my contacts which were on my tmobile SIM card didn't
get imported to my iPhone. However, It finally got imported to the iPhone.
Here is what I did:
1. Went to tmobile store, backed up all of my contacts on tmobile SIM card to a USB flash driver.
2. Convert the backup file .ppb file to .csv file.
3. Run outlook to import the csv file to its 'Contacts'.
4. Connect iphone to the laptop.
5. Run iTune to synch the iphone 'Contacts' with the Outlook 'Contacts'
6. Disconnect iPhone from laptop, find all of my contacts on tmobile are now copied over to my iPhone!

johnwijn

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Using bluetooth

I got my old phone with sim contacts talking to my Mac with bluetooth..they connnect ...then tried to send my contacts from old phone sim to Mac via bluetooth ..seemed very logical but nothing happened....will probably go to the store and get them to do it...:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.