Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Inukami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
The icon doesn't show up, it keeps showing the Edge icon(E). I don't think thats normal : (

I'm connected to wifi so i don't know why it wont show, it shows when i'm in airplane mode but i can't use wifi/safari because it doesn't transmit anything. When i turn airplane mode it goes back to E. Also when i'm on wifi mode but it shows E, it is VERY VERY SLOW, like 35 seconds just to load up google with something i searched, is this normal???

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
The icon doesn't show up, it keeps showing the Edge icon(E). I don't think thats normal : (

I'm connected to wifi so i don't know why it wont show, it shows when i'm in airplane mode but i can't use wifi/safari because it doesn't transmit anything. When i turn airplane mode it goes back to E. Also when i'm on wifi mode but it shows E, it is VERY VERY SLOW, like 35 seconds just to load up google with something i searched, is this normal???

If it's showing the E symbol, then you're not connected to WiFi (at least you're not connected to the internet via WiFi). It could be that the router has MAC address filtering turned on, doesn't allow 802.11g connections, or you've entered the WEP key incorrectly, but whatever it is, you aren't connected...

Inukami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Hmm well it has a built in router with a password but i entered the password and it says i'm connected.

This is the modem from verizon fios so i'm sure it accepts 802.11g connections.

How do i check for MAC address filtering turned on and WEP

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
If it's showing the Edge icon and it's really, really slow, then what makes you think you're on Wifi?!? ;)

If you've installed 2.0.2, that might be the problem. After installing, I had to reset my network settings and re-enter my Wifi network password, and it worked fine after that.

Inukami

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
well i went to my settings and entered the DSN address and now it shows the icon but it doesn't transmit anything x_x

If it's showing the Edge icon and it's really, really slow, then what makes you think you're on Wifi?!? ;)

If you've installed 2.0.2, that might be the problem. After installing, I had to reset my network settings and re-enter my Wifi network password, and it worked fine after that.

that didn't work =/

afazel

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
Make sure the IP address is part of the correct subnet. Sometimes routers are sketchy about giving out correct IP addresses for WiFi devices via DHCP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.