Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
Browsing through the new apps this morning, I found this- Kirk's Communicator. Yeah, it's fairly simple and silly- OK, very silly is probably more accurate... but it's also a riot for an old-school geek like me. It would be really cool if it did more than just make sounds and were a real 2-way radio or the likes... but as it is everyone I've shown it to has loved it, and for $1 I can't really complain.

uicandrew

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2006
i remember watching the original Star Trek in the 1980's.

anyways, i think there is a "tricorder" application App store somewhere. i don't think it was 99 cents, though. probably $5 or $10. (it looks like a tricorder from The Next Generation series.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
anyways, i think there is a "tricorder" application App store somewhere. i don't think it was 99 cents, though. probably $5 or $10. (it looks like a tricorder from The Next Generation series.

It's called simply [app]Tricorder[/app], and it IS only 99 cents. However, it looks terrible, has bad reviews, and is just a plug for the developer's website (which is pretty bad).

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
would be cool if you could actually call someone or answer a call

Agreed. It would be neat if it had a keypad for dialing or the likes when it opened up, sort of like how the rotary dialers act.

Or better yet, build a voice-dialing app underneath it so you flipped it open, said, "Call XXXX" and it dialed it for you.

Unfortunately, I imagine the restrictions on what the apps can access would be such that you couldn't just flip it closed to hang up on a call...

rizajj

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
damn i had this idea the other day in the shower! would be so easy to program. doh! guess I should have thought of it sooner!

i would've made it free, though...

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
It's called simply [app]Tricorder[/app], and it IS only 99 cents. However, it looks terrible, has bad reviews, and is just a plug for the developer's website (which is pretty bad).

I clicked on your link, and it is showing a price of $1.99. Have to say, both of these apps look pretty cheesy and I won't be purchasing them.

bilibug

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2008
Stockton NJ
damn i had this idea the other day in the shower! would be so easy to program. doh! guess I should have thought of it sooner!

i would've made it free, though...

3 phones ago, I had a Kyocera 7135 clamshell palm phone, shaped kind of like a Trek communicator. I loved the thing, but it only ran Palm OS 4, which was not high resolution. It was built to withstand a nuclear holocaust.

Anyway, it played a sound when you opened and closed it, and you could get the communicator sound, which I did. Ultimate geekdom! I so miss that phone.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
I clicked on your link, and it is showing a price of $1.99. Have to say, both of these apps look pretty cheesy and I won't be purchasing them.

Dyslexia Lad strikes again! You're right - it's $1.99, which is even worse. I wouldn't even put this app on my phone if it was free....

cjoshuav

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2008
Hmmm...it looks like there are two tricorder app's, one by JavaWorks for $0.99 and one by Smells like Donkey for $1.99. Anyone tried both?

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
tricoder detect life sign by scanning for wifi/blue tooth signal, make it look good i'll pay for it :)

That would be pretty cool. I would definitely pay for a communicator-themed dialer (even if you can't do it completely right due to the restrictions on what apps can do...) and a tricorder wifi/signal detector. Make the tricorder app something like the app that analyzes available wifi for whether it's truly open as well as just being a signal detector, and you've got a winner. For a truly complete app suite... make a phaser one too. :p

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
We have access to a ton of official Star Trek sounds but decided not to use them in 100sounds at the risk of getting the app pulled, as the original Lightsabre app was... and that was free! We have indeed included a couple that are royalty free (Transporter and "Tech Whistle") but seems to me this is asking for trouble, especially with the new Star Trek movie coming out in May. I have to believe the movie studio will have an app tie-in and they might not take kindly to these apps.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
So instead of not taking kindly to it, why don't they make an official Star Trek app so fans can enjoy them?

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008

The problem with that app is that it CAN'T use the proper sound effects cos they're copyright ... BUT it does use the most annoying poor rip-off equivalent that doesn't even loop properly

Its really a BAD app

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
So instead of not taking kindly to it, why don't they make an official Star Trek app so fans can enjoy them?

I expect they will, in time for and closer to the release of the movie (May), as seen with The Dark Knight, The Force Unleashed, etc. And I wouldn't be surprised if this app gets taken down, like the lightsabre app was.

While we're comparing Star Trek and Star Wars... I was in the Silicon Valley when Star Wars: Episode 1 came out (the 4th movie produced but the first in the story's chronology). People were "picketing", dressed in Star TREK uniforms with signs that said "Make Trek, Not Wars"... very amusing.

I also started a contest at work when the last Star Wars movie came out. I put a Darth Vader bank and a Star Trek bank out in our break room. The donated money goes to the charity of either George Lucas or Gene Roddenberry's favorites, based on which bank earns the most! Will have to repeat that in May!

antokin

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2004
New iPhone Communicator app that can dial

There's a brand new iPhone app that's a great take on TOS Communicator. It's called Star Radio Communicator and has great graphics. You can also make phone calls using a cool retro-modern dialer. You can see a video of the app in action on this web site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.