Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nauman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2008
Hello everyone out there:

I just got the 4th generation nano ipod the other day and the first time I played it, the sound was really weird. It's distorted, kind of like an underwater sort of sound, there is sort of an echo, and the singing is really faint.Its my first ipod so i cant belive to hear that ipods sounds like this :confused:

also it restarts again and again some times

also there is problem with video..some vidoes work fine but if some video starts to stuck , it sucks again even after restarting ipod, and never plays again if you remove it and even not work if you replace the video with same name.

i have checked all the settings like sound , EQ , etc etc but nothing changed

its a latest and new ipod i dont know whats wrong with it...the main problem is with its sound...weird thing is that background sound of songs sounds ok..but when singer starts singing in song his/her voice goes under tone/distorted , and sound quailty goes very bad

Any ideas on if it's just a setting issue or something? Please help i am a new member of this form Hi to all members.​

Scarlet Fever

macrumors 68040
Jul 22, 2005
Bookshop!
  • How did you obtain your music? Illegally acquired songs (eg Limewire, torrents) have a much higher chance of being corrupted than legally obtained music (eg iTunes Store or CD)
  • Have you tried with other headphones? Your heaphones may be broken.
  • How did you encode your videos? If you encoded them badly, it may have damaged the file.

If those things don't fix it, call Apple and ask them.

And for future reference, please don't use bright red text in your posts.

bobku

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
I have had the same exact problem. It was working fine for a long time now can't figure out what to do. Checked with other headphones . Restored to factory settings. Still same problem

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
My Nano suddenly started acting this way as well. Specially the vocal sounds very distorted.
Is it broken or is there a fix to this?

thewallbanger

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2007
16 GB yellow Nano only 3 months old here. I think my sound board/headphone amp just died today. Everything sounds fine when connected to my car's FM modulator, but as soon as I stick in headphones the bass is gone, vocals are static, and only the highs are listenable. Tried restore, but no help.

I think I'm going to exchange it under warranty. Would it be faster mailing it in or going to the Apple store?

Tread831

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
iPod Shuffle Echo Problem

I had a really bad echo with my iPod Shuffle too and I was ready to toss it in the trash after weeks of frustration. I checked everything, the settings on my iTunes application had no echo suppression or EQ options, then on accident I pulled the headphone plug out about 1 to 2 millimeters from the seated correct position and BAM! It's perfect.

The solution was then to get the rubberband off a broccoli bunch , and an exacto knife and i fashioned a grommet that prevents the ear-bud plug from being seated fully. you could also use a thin piece of ceral box cardboard.

cut the rubber band open so you have a long wide strip of rubber band.

carefully use the exacto knife to cut a small hole in big enough for the plug to go through , trim off the excess so you have a tidy little ring that fits snugly on the plug. (keep at it until you get a professional look.) You got lots of rubber band, so the first attempt may not be perfect.

best of luck in your attempt at this. <3 Tread

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.