Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

guymarble

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Hi guys, need urgent help my iPhone was in my jeans pocket which then went in the washing machine. It is now dead :( and I don't know what to do!

I am on an o2 contract and bought it in the apple store. Will there be a guarantee with it? Or will I have to buy a brand new iPhone?

Please can someone help me :eek:

Thanks,
Guy

btw this is my 1st post :)

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
Oh man that sucks :[

Like above, Apple's warranty doesn't cover user (or washing machine) inflcted damage. You would have to get a new phone. Also I believe that inside the iPhone there is one of those water sensor things?? So if it has been dropped in water, it will show that so you couldn't BS your way out of it. I'm sorry for your loss.

One question, how did you not feel it in the pocket?? Haha it's not a very small phone. In rush or have someone else do it? Not that I'm dogging you...but now you have me kind of nervous about this situation as I am at college and tend to be careless with laundry :eek:

guymarble

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
I just rang up o2 and I have to get a new one :(

It happened because I'd just been out on a walk and fell in mud so was in a rush to get my jeans in the wash and totally forgot about it :(

oh well....i know what's going on my xmas list this year :p

Thanks anyways
Guy

Eso

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2008
Bring it to the Apple Store

Dude, just bring it to the geniuses at the Apple store and tell them it stopped working and you don't know why. What's the worse that can happen? - they spend two hours troubleshooting just to come back and say, "It appears you dropped this in water so we can't replace it." Oh well, you will be in the same position you are now. Best that can happen is they can't figure out what is wrong and you get a new phone. For $300 bucks it's worth a shot.

Eric Isaacson

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Don't throw it out yet. Let it dry out completely ( a couple of days) and if you are lucky it might start working again. I've heard others doing this and it has worked for them.

Put it in front of a fan or something and let it dry out. Good luck.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
Dude, just bring it to the geniuses at the Apple store and tell them it stopped working and you don't know why. What's the worse that can happen? - they spend two hours troubleshooting just to come back and say, "It appears you dropped this in water so we can't replace it."

HA!

They will know in a *moment* that it's been water damaged. And they'll know that you know that ;)

EDIT: But ya ... you can try to dry it out (search/google for tips). People have had success doing that. But given that it's gone through a "rigorous clean", not sure what you can expect.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Hi guys, need urgent help my iPhone was in my jeans pocket which then went in the washing machine. It is now dead :( and I don't know what to do!

I am on an o2 contract and bought it in the apple store. Will there be a guarantee with it? Or will I have to buy a brand new iPhone?

Please can someone help me :eek:

Thanks,
Guy

btw this is my 1st post :)

Man, I hate to be a jerk but are you kidding? How can you even think that Apple would guarantee it?

Please explain to all of us how either O2 or Apple is responsible in any way for YOU putting your phone in the washing machine.

Since this is your first post, I will give you some advice.....don't come in here complaining about how you destroyed your phone and want Apple to replace it. I for one am sick of hearing it. Everyone that destroys their phone expects Apple to pay for it. It's theft! If you were so worried about your phone you would have checked your pockets before you turned the machine on!!!!

Again I don't mean to flame you and I'm sorry your phone is thrashed, but come on......Manufacturer Warranties do not cover user abuse or stupidity. So like everyone else who did something boneheaded with their phone, you'll have to shell out the cash if you want another one. :mad::confused::mad:

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
Dude, just bring it to the geniuses at the Apple store and tell them it stopped working and you don't know why. What's the worse that can happen? - they spend two hours troubleshooting just to come back and say, "It appears you dropped this in water so we can't replace it." Oh well, you will be in the same position you are now. Best that can happen is they can't figure out what is wrong and you get a new phone. For $300 bucks it's worth a shot.

First off....that is fraud and theft. We can see where your integrity is. :mad:

Second, it will take 3 seconds not two hours. They will shine a light down the headphone jack and tell you to buy a new one. :p

guymarble

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 3, 2008
Man, I hate to be a jerk but are you kidding? How can you even think that Apple would guarantee it?

Please explain to all of us how either O2 or Apple is responsible in any way for YOU putting your phone in the washing machine.

Since this is your first post, I will give you some advice.....don't come in here complaining about how you destroyed your phone and want Apple to replace it. I for one am sick of hearing it. Everyone that destroys their phone expects Apple to pay for it. It's theft! If you were so worried about your phone you would have checked your pockets before you turned the machine on!!!!

Again I don't mean to flame you and I'm sorry your phone is thrashed, but come on......Manufacturer Warranties do not cover user abuse or stupidity. So like everyone else who did something boneheaded with their phone, you'll have to shell out the cash if you want another one. :mad::confused::mad:

ok well i'm sorry for any inconvenience my message may have caused....but I wasn't asking if o2 or apple could do anything....I was just wondering if anyone else had been in the same or similar situation, from which they may have offered advice!

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
Originally Posted by Eso View Post

One check of it and they'll see it's contacted water on all the little areas that are designed to show this.

You lie to them, and you get busted, and you're in bad books for starters, irrespective of the ethics of it. They'll know within a minute or two i'd imagine. the OP having to lie and shrug shoulders when OP is asked what happened will be a sign also. Fess up (if they ask) and get a new one with insurance if you want it.

DigMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2008
Squaretrade's warranty with accident and spill damage would have covered this sort of thing. I just purchased it on Monday...$76 (After 30% coupon code) for 2 years including accidents and spills is not bad at all!

bc

RedAbundance

macrumors member
Apr 2, 2008
New York, NY
this happened to two friends of mine. one washed his iphone in the washer, and the other jumped into a hot tub in board shorts with his iphone in it.

both of them took their iphones back to the apple store and told the genius what happened. one got a free replacement, the other didn't because the warranty ran out... the genius recommended letting it dry completely and have the battery replaced. ifixit.com or something... good luck

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
ok well i'm sorry for any inconvenience my message may have caused....but I wasn't asking if o2 or apple could do anything....I was just wondering if anyone else had been in the same or similar situation, from which they may have offered advice!

No incovinience at all, it's just shocking that it would even cross your mind that a company would guarrantee a product that was abused by the end user.:confused:

I am sorry if my passion upset you, but how do you think Apple pays for the new phone that people who abused their phone gets for free? They pass the price on to us, and I am unwilling to pay a penny more for my phones to cover the cost of people who can't take care of theirs.:mad:

Advice: Take better care of your $700 iPhone, so that you don't have to spend another $700.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007

I had a similar situation with my first gen phone. My wife mistakenly washed my pants with the phone still in the pocket. Since the phone was on when she did so I assumed it was done, put the brick in a drawer and bought a new one.

A few months later I was going through my drawers and found the brick. I decided to see what a bricked phone would fetch on ebay. To my surprise it was well over $100. So I decided to sell the brick on Ebay. While the auction was going I decided to try connecting it to Itunes and I'll be damned it powered up. I still sold it on ebay AS IS for $172. I was unable to put the phone into DFU and something was still jacked up with it because while it worked and powered up I almost 'felt' current on the sleep/wake button. Anyway that's my story. Worst case ebay it.

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008

In fairness to him, I don't think he said anything about lying to Apple or scamming them in any way. He just asked if the damage was somehow covered by the warranty, which it's not. And he admitted full responsibility for his mistake too, he didn't blame it on them either.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
I have read stories of phone's and iPod's coming back to life after a bath. Search here and google and I'm sure you'll find a few different things to try.

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
You'll be able to make an insurance claim for it if you took it out when you bought the phone? Always a good investment, especially when a decent phone costs between £400 - £600.

If you didn't you can probably claim on your home contents insurance.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain

Or you could grow a pair, accept its your fault, stop trying to screw people, and fork out the money.

SkippyThorson

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2007
Utica, NY
This sounds stupid but Ive heard of this working. Put it in a bag of white rice. Shake the bag with the phone in it. It will absorb any and all moisture like rice does. Leave it for a few days and take it out, wipe the rice dust off, and give it a try. Worst that can happen is you stay at square one.

~edit~ Beat to it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.