Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
My System Preferences is gone. I definitely did not delete it so I can't understand where it has gone. Nonetheless, I'm traveling at the moment and won't have access to my installation discs for 9 more months. Can anyone help me figure out how to get it back, or get a new one? Do I just need the SystemPreferences.App file? I'm running version 10.5.5.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I'd imagine you'd just need the app. Normally I'd recommend an archive and install but since you don't have access to the disk I really don't know what to do. Are you sure you didn't accidentally move it somewhere? Does it work if you choose "System Preferences" from the Apple menu?

One thing you should try is reinstalling 10.5.5 using the combo updater, that may reinstall the app. If not see if you can get it off someone else's Mac or if there's an Apple Store nearby, go to the genius bar and explain the situation.

Beyond that I have no ideas.

joelle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I have searched for the file on my hard drive and can't find it. It doesn't work from the apple menu either. I don't use my mac for much more than internet and skype so unless I was sleepwalking, I don't know when that file would have disappeared.

Downloaded the combo update but it didn't help. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'll try to find a store in Melbourne and see what they have to say.

In the meantime, if anyone else has a Macbook, running 10.5.5 and can email it to me, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!

kirat26

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2008
can someone email me the system preference application, it just disapeared and i can not open it anymore.

arrozito

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
anyone has the system preferences.app ?

Hi there,

I'm trying to resolve this same situation for a friend who has a macbook 10.4.11 -- and apparently she never knew that it was abnormal to never have a System Preferences from the very beginning when she got her mac.

Anyhow, would any of you happen to be able to email or attach or upload the system preferences.app ??

Thanks so much!
~V

pilotrtc

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2008
I just found mine in my Applications folder!! I didn't expect it to be there and suspect it's not supposed to be there so I've been googling for the proper location.

Does anyone know where it's supposed to be? It's in my user Applications folder.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
I just found mine in my Applications folder!! I didn't expect it to be there and suspect it's not supposed to be there so I've been googling for the proper location.

Does anyone know where it's supposed to be? It's in my user Applications folder.

It is supposed to be in the Applications folder. It's an application, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.