Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnny999

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I have a G5 2.7ghz powermac. Recently it began switching itself off at start up. If it did boot up - it would only last for a few minutes that it would freeze.
I clean out the dust from the inside and even took the cpu cover off - none of it has made any difference. I have also replaced the lithium battery. Has anybody else experience this?

dollystereo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2004
France
I had this problem in a 2.3 dual G5 they exchanged almost anything looking for the fail, video card, logic board, power supply this last one was the problem.
good luck

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Did you clean out all the dust in the power supply? Or just on the user serviceable fans?

If you can, try to download iStat so you can see what is overheating. Maybe it's not even overheating and there's a problem with the hardware or maybe the software.

G5power

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2005
Do you have anything like a second video card installed? Additional internal drives?

If so you might try temporarily removing them and see if you still have the same issue.

Also the iStat recommendation is a very good idea.

Earl Urly

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2004
There's also something called a thermal recalibration you can do that might solve this.. but you can only do it with Apple Service Diagnostic CD which is only available to Apple service techs

Theedooz

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
I also own a 2.7 Ghz Powermac G5 with liquid cooling which recently gives "overheating" warnings via Growl. However, it does not shut down by itself.
And i don't see any liquid leak anywhere.

:)
Tedo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.