Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Hey Ladies!

Does anyone wonder what makes the premium 2.53 GHz Macbook Pro so much more expensive than the 2.4 GHz one? I do!

2.4 GHz MBP + 4GB RAM + 320GB-7200 HD = 2074 Euro
2.53 GHz MBP + 4GB RAM + 320GB HD-720 HD = 2294 Euro

Price difference: 220 Euro ! :confused:

Difference 1: 2.53 C2D vs 2.4 C2D
Price difference on the end-user market between both CPUs: 20 Euro !!

Difference 2: 512MB Vram vs 256MB Vram
Performance difference: most likely 0%, because the 9600M GT cannot make much use of the additional Vram !!!

But it gets worse:

If I buy the most basic MBP for 1799 Euro and add 4GB RAM plus 320GB-7200K myself then it costs me around 2000 Euro !!!!

That's not only another 74 Euro cheaper (for the work and time I need to invest myself) than using Apple's options but leaves me with a spare 250GB HD and 1GB RAM (compensates for the work and time) !!!!!

Usually one would expect an all inegrated top-model to be less expensive than updating a lower priced model with the same parts. Not so here.

I have seen the disassembly photos on IFixit.com and it seems that the CPU is fixed to the logic board. Does anyone know if swapping CPUs yourself is possible? Are they soldered to the board or just glued to the socket? :apple:

Dr Strangelove

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2008
Usually one would expect an all inegrated top-model to be less expensive than updating a lower priced model with the same parts. Not so here.

I am not saying that the price point is not expensive but when has this statement you made ever been true, especially when it comes to Apple. If you want the best, you are going to pay premium prices.

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
Well then the soldering tin seems to be worth 200 Euro. :apple: :rolleyes:

nope7308

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Also, if you use a special discount (e.g. education discount) the difference becomes less (i.e. $100 off the base model vs. $200 off the top model). It's not much, but it helps.

Echoing everyone else's replies, it's Apple... what did you expect?

aleksandra.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
Warsaw, Poland
Price difference: 220 Euro ! :confused:

Difference 1: 2.53 C2D vs 2.4 C2D
Price difference on the end-user market between both CPUs: 20 Euro !!

Difference 2: 512MB Vram vs 256MB Vram
Performance difference: most likely 0%, because the 9600M GT cannot make much use of the additional Vram !!!

Who buys RAM from Apple? With the prices they're charging, it's only logical that they'd force people to buy all of their upgrades if they want (slightly) better CPU and more vRAM. While those would probably make a difference for some people, most of us - judging from your comment you included - won't notice it. So why go for a high-end model?

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 14, 2008
I need the CPU power for music production and knowing that the CPU on those damn things is not replaceable doesn't make it easier. If only all the people around me wouldn't build their music rigs around OS X...

Those HP Elite Notebooks come with a high resolution screen + eSATA and probably replaceable CPU for that price.

turtlebud

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
I was contemplating whether the 2.53Ghz model is worth it as well. I considered the same things that you bring up with one additional point - the L2 cache. The high end model was 6MB of L2 cache vs. 3MB L2 cache for the 2.4Ghz model.

I wonder how much of a difference in performance during everyday use the doubling of L2 cache will make. From what I recall, L2 cache is the "fast memory" that the OS uses first before it goes to RAM. Does anyone else have insight into cache?

Also, is that true that the 9600 cannot make use of more than 256MB of VRAM?

I've read that 4gigs of RAM will run you about $140 right now, but will go down in price over time. I think apple charges $150 to upgrade from 2->4GB right now, so it's a little more expensive than if you do it yourself (and of course you can sell your stock RAM sticks - dunno how much they'd go for though).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.