Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trev

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2006
St. John's, NL
hey all,

So I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it, so here goes.

I've got an ipod with a ton of mp3's on it which was previously owned by me and my girlfriend and we used her account and her itunes to purchase the songs. anyway, I dumped the bizzach and now I have the ipod but no itunes account. is there anyway I can transfer these mp3's to my itunes? I don't wanna loose the files on the ipod. Thanks!

Trevor

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
MP3s or copy protected audio?

I know most people talk generics about songs (ie EVERYTHING is treated like it's an MP3) but there is a difference...

If you BOUGHT a song off iTunes, unless it was in iTunes Plus format, it has Digital Rights Management (DRM) attached to it.

DRM tracks are hard to copy around as they need to be authorised. And they SHOULD be backed up when purchased (iTunes tells you to back them up and has a menu option to do so).

If you just have plain old MP3s, you can probably copy them back to the PC/Mac by enabling disk access mode (depending upon the type of iPod).

So, bottom line, tell us a bit more about your iPod, computer and files types and someone can probably steer you towards a solution... :)

Cheers!

PS There are a lot of "copy from iPod" programs available. Not sure how well they work or if they cope with DRM tracks. Sure someone who has one can tell us.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Through various methods the tracks can be pulled off the iPod (as the others mentioned.) However if your ex changes her iTunes account password you will not be able to authorize your machine to play the purchased tracks.

As soon as you get the tracks off the iPod I would proceed to burn them to audio CD and re-import any purchases them to dispose of the DRM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.