Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Does anyone know how to build an IR repeater? YOu can buy them online for the ridiculous price of $250 or more, but the components are less than $5 worth of parts.

Problem is, I don't know how to put it all together!

Does anyone here know? :confused:

::for the record, an IR repeater is an IR receiver that is wired to an IR transmitter that will accept your remote's commands, then repeat the signal where ever you have put the transmitter. The main use for this is when you have all your components hidden in a cabinet or another room. The small receiver is put somewhere near your tv.::

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Hi,

Yeah I actually had that same model, but they convert to RF and back, and they died after a couple months of light use.

I'm looking for a much simpler version, wired together. Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/IR-Repeater-Sys...14&_trkparms=72:1416|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1308

But as you can see, it's a total rip-off. $64 for about $5 worth of parts (it's not like there's a ton of R&D or Marketing for these). I wish I knew which chinese manufacturer sells these because they're perfect for the task!

Pigumon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 4, 2004
Where?

http://www.cedarnet.org/smartware/Hardware/IR_Repeater/

According to the post the parts run $20 - $25 unless you have some lying around already. If not and you also don't have the tools or talent it's cheaper to just go buy one.

This thing looks great, but I have no idea how to read a schematic, though I could probably do the soldering/assembling just fine.

Where have you seen a similar product for around $25? I'd be fine with buying one. I don't need those more expensive RF converting types, just a simple wired receiver with transmitters. Thanks!

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
This thing looks great, but I have no idea how to read a schematic, though I could probably do the soldering/assembling just fine.

Where have you seen a similar product for around $25? I'd be fine with buying one. I don't need those more expensive RF converting types, just a simple wired receiver with transmitters. Thanks!

The $25 was mentioned at the same link.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.