Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnomeisland

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I am building my own small home studio to handle my voice overs without renting a studio space. I am looking at buying a set of reference monitors in the coming weeks and a friend is strongly suggesting that I buy a power conditioner. After kicking around online it seems like that is certainly a good idea.

I am looking at either of these:
http://www.provantage.com/belkin-ap11000fc10~7BEL91FU.htm
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Furman-PL-8-II-Power-Conditioner-102687027-i1125142.gc

A client of mine has gotten me used/refurb UPS units in the past for reasonable rates and I am wondering if good quality online-UPS (like the APC SMART series that claims to generate a true sine wave) might be better option at the same price point. Plus it adds protection against brown-outs which aren't common here in New York but aren't unheard of in the summer months.

thoughts/suggestions?

thevibesman

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2007
Go for a UPS. Brown outs are more common than you think. I'm in Waltham, MA and my UPS I bought in January tells me it has protected me from 26 events so far, but by looking at the lights in my apartment, I only visually noticed 3-5 so far. Every time I hear the relay click I am very glad I bought it.

You should do some more research into the power supplies for your equipment. From what I understand, sine approximations are acceptable for many modern power supplies. I went that route to save some money because I'm a musican/composer/teacher recently out of school and blew most of my funds on the Mac Pro in January. Logically true sine seems like it would be better, but from what I've read it won't always make a difference compared to a sine approximation (although I'd stay away from square)--when it makes a difference is something I do not know. I don't know all the facts about that, so take this paragraph with a grain of salt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.