Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krafty

macrumors 601
Original poster
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Since I love loud music I want to see what everyone else is cranking when they're on the streets.

Headunit:
Alpine CDA-9847 (50x4 Watts)

Speakers:
Dash: Stock tweeters (that dont work for some reason)
Front: Stock 4"
Read: Alpine 6.5" 2-Way Type-S (50 Watts RMS/250 Watts Peak)

Subwoofer:
Sub: Kenwood KFC-W3009 12" (400 Watts RMS/800 Watts Peak)
Amp: Pioneer GM-X962 2Ch MOSFET (380 Watts Bridged/760 Watts Peak)

Price:
Headunit - $70 (Craigslist)
Alpine Type-S - $50 (Crutchfield)
Subwoofer - $25 (Craigslist)
Amp - Free (From my cousin)
Wires - $35 (Wal-Mart)

For a college budget, it definitely packs a punch. Should hold until I get some spare cash if ever in the so-called future.

33z7hjk.jpg

23shiqd.jpg

16hn4wk.jpg

2la5tms.jpg

33y3toy.jpg

9sgghj.jpg

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
My setup is very basic. I installed it about two years ago so I forget most of the numbers. But I have a Sony XPlode Head Unit, custom wiring, I have speakers in all four doors as well as in the rear deck. I have a Sony XPlode AMP connected to two 12 inch subwoofers.

This is the HU with the iPod AUX input;

This is a picture showing how cleanly I installed the speaker in the back doors. You can't even tell they are there! Except when you sit in the back seat;

This is the best picture I have on hand of my subwoofer. Thankfully after I had cleaned my trunk, my amp is behind the subwoofer and is accessible through a hatch in the backseat armrest;

I installed the system myself and it took a few hours to install, but it took a couple weeks to perfect as I learned more about taking my car interior apart. AND a picture of the car it is all in;

BTW, those subs above look awesome!

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I have an Alpine CDA-9815, two Memphis amps, two eD 8" subs, and some CDT ES-620s... in a box, in the garage. :D

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
focal 165v2 speakers (front and back), 2x 10" w3`s, alpine pdx 4100 and 1600 amps, edead throughout the car, stock pioneer HU with aux and ipod hook up.

mmmm...good stuff.

xbsystem.jpg

xbw3angle.jpg

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
I have an Alpine CDA-9815, two Memphis amps, two eD 8" subs, and some CDT ES-620s... in a box, in the garage. :D

why arent your elemental design subs not hooked up?
maybe you are selling them?
maybe you are going to give them to me?
i will give you a cookie.

beige matchbox

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2005
Oxfordshire, UK
Ok, tiny pics, but it's all i have uploaded :eek:

Front speaker:
shapeimage_2.jpg

Of course, theres 2, 80mm in a box that just fits between the other gubbins under the dash

Rear Speakers:
shapeimage_4.jpg

Not sure what they are, they came with the car, I just pulled them apart and removed all the plastic tat and fitted them under a parcel shelf covered with speaker cloth, would never know they're there :D

Rear Speakers from inside the boot:
shapeimage_5.jpg

The Amp:
shapeimage_1.jpg

Custom made by me, kicks out a real 14watts which is enough to make the car vibrate quite nicely :)
You can also see part of the left front speaker box to the left of the amp, sound source is anything with a headphone socket, so no head unit :cool:

I know it's not a high quality install with high end hardware, but it's fitted to a car designed in the 50s, with a fairly noisy exhaust, so Hi-Fi is really quite pointless :p

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
ha dont you just love the stock system? Those 6 inch 'subs' really pack a punch haha! 6 spd ftw btw.

It's actually not that bad for a stock system I dabbled a bit with audio on my old car and decided it's a complete waste of money so I haven't touched this one. Maybe others disagree, but I'd rather spend my money on other things

Pili

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2005
Orlando/Miami, FL
Yeah the mids and the highs arent awful but there really isnt bass at all. They speakers do sound much better with a better head unit though. My buddy has one of the pioneer touch screen units in his rabbit with 2 12" subs in the trunk and the stock speakers sound not to bad at all.

sycho

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
Yeah the mids and the highs arent awful but there really isnt bass at all. They speakers do sound much better with a better head unit though. My buddy has one of the pioneer touch screen units in his rabbit with 2 12" subs in the trunk and the stock speakers sound not to bad at all.
In my Mk4 Jetta I put an Kenwood Excelon headunit with a Clarion 4 channel amp running the stock speakers, put a 2 channel Clarion for the sub. It sounds superb with the fronts high-passed at 80hz and the rears at 120hz with a 70% fade to the front.

Incidentally VW often uses either Clarion or Phillips for the OEM on their speakers, and replacing the stock speakers is usually not worth it in the MK4s unless you spend tons of money.

I'll post pictures another day.:)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
OP i have the same speakers as you :)

seeing pictures with the steering wheel on the left hand side is so confusing for me, because here in Aus we all have ours on the right hand side haha.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Don't have a picture handy but I'm running 2 "1100 watt" subs in a closed glass box off a Pioneer "800 watt" amp. I'm using quotes because manufacturers really fudge their numbers... afaik, its really pumping about 400 watts total. I'm running 4awg wire all around (its a very short run because my battery is in the trunk).

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
Mark Levinson speakers, sub and amp with navi and XM roady :D
attachment.php

(pic taken from the post your car thread)

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007
Nothing fancy. Stock premium system in my Land Rover. Alpine head unit with Harmon Kardon Amp and speakers. I have a direct iPod integration kit which I love. Full sound quality and it charges my ipod.220 Watt with 12 speakers. Sounds pretty good but overly boomy bass if you ask me. Buttons are very poorly laid out.

Attachments

• n1084290331_30097101_3410.jpg
    n1084290331_30097101_3410.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 153

shfreelance

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2008
Eustis, FL
Nothing fancy. Stock premium system in my Land Rover. Alpine head unit with Harmon Kardon Amp and speakers. I have a direct iPod integration kit which I love. Full sound quality and it charges my ipod.220 Watt with 12 speakers. Sounds pretty good but overly boomy bass if you ask me. Buttons are very poorly laid out.

I could just hump that to death... I love LandRover Discovery, mmmmm :p .

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

overly boomy bass?? hahaha us kids call that music :p you should get into it sometime, its really good.

liquidtrend

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2008
HOUSTON, TX
I was expecting some nice real quality like bose, or nakamishi stuff, im desapointed... in all of you LOL

haha..you are joking right?
do you look up all your car audio information from best buy and circuit city?
bose? doesnt that crap come standard in GM vehicals?
and nakamishi is way over rated for the crap it puts out.
take a look at my system one more time and then do a bit more research.
:rolleyes:

DoFoT9 said:
overly boomy bass?? hahaha us kids call that music you should get into it sometime, its really good.
i dont call that music at all.
even though i have the power, i keep my subs restricted to a -3 and put the bass down to a -3 as well.
i definatly appreciate my highs and my mids much more than my bass!!
:)

dontwalkhand said:
I am suprised I am not seeing any touchscreens, GPS, iPod rigs, or even Mac minis in these cars you guys are posting.

i have a gps, but not a indash touch screen gps because i feel those suck.
and my car came standard with the ipod and aux hook up.
a mac mini is a good idea, but a hackintosh carputer would be choice!!!
hmm... idea's idea's...
:D

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
currently i have stock. harmon kardon from factory. (2004 M3)
used to have in my 1991 325is, 2 alpine speakers in the front and 2 in the back. alpine deck, alpine amp and 10" hertz sub. perfect setup to listen quietly or shake the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.