Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Christopher11

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 10, 2007
I'm having trouble with Vuze. I'm new to torrents, and love the idea... but when i choose a file to download it starts out okay, but then goes to like 4kb/second with an ETA of 17 days.

Are there ways to improve the speed? Should i look for files only with a certain number of people "seeding"? Is there a site for torrent files that's more reliable in terms of d/l speed? Thanks very much for any replies.

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
I'm having trouble with Vuze. I'm new to torrents, and love the idea... but when i choose a file to download it starts out okay, but then goes to like 4kb/second with an ETA of 17 days.

Are there ways to improve the speed? Should i look for files only with a certain number of people "seeding"? Is there a site for torrent files that's more reliable in terms of d/l speed? Thanks very much for any replies.

Make sure you have your upload rate set to something reasonable for your connection if you have it set too low then others will not give you their max speed. When getting torrents you want to get one with the highest amount of seeders to peers ratio you can find this makes it go faster. Then depending on your ISP they may be screwing with your connection so turn on the encryption and try using a port that is used by a popular program that you don't use as it is less likely the ISP will be blocking that. Don't use any of the 688? old defaults of BT those are pretty much blocked by default now. Then of course some routers if you use one are know to be useless for torenting as they have too small a NAT table in them so you may want to search on yours if in use to see if it is one of them. Then if only doing a torrent or two you can always raise the maximum connections per torrent from the default 50 to around a 100 or so. As well if I use my ISP's name servers which are useless my downloads go to hell in an instant so I use OpenDNSs name servers for this reason you may want to give them a try. There is a few things for you to try good luck.

jcosmide

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2008
It also depends on the tracker (website) from which you are downloading the torrent and how many seeders/leechers (peers, collectively) there are. Obviously, the more peers, especially seeders, there are, the faster your downloads will go.

Generally, private trackers are much faster, more reliable, and safer than public ones. It's just a matter of getting an invite to a private tracker and establishing yourself as a good user to be able to get invites for other private trackers.

D/L speeds fluctuate heavily during the beginning and the end of the file download. This is because the torrent client is trying to connect to other users who have the pieces that you need. If you find that your download speeds spike and drop (4kb to 200kb to 50 to 225) in a matter of seconds, it may be your wifi, if you are on wifi. I had this problem with my early 2006 intel iMac, which has terrible wireless connectivity.

Finally, for the love of god, stop using azureus. It's slow, unreliable, and a memory hog. use transmission

MacUser2525

Suspended
Mar 17, 2007
Canada
Finally, for the love of god, stop using azureus. It's slow, unreliable, and a memory hog. use transmission

Safari followed closely by Firefox are the biggest memory hogs on my system by a good 50% more margin on Azureus the third in line so I just don't get that idea everyone is always on about. When I have tried Transmission in the past it without fail always found less seeds/peers and downloaded slower than Azureus perhaps that has changed but it was never my experience with it that it was faster.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    121 KB · Views: 516
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.