Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbadore64

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 7, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what a workaround you may have found.

This morning I plugged in my iPhone to simply remove Wall-E and put on Horton Hears a Who! for my son. The sync process was taking forever and this was the first time I've noticed this "Optimizing photos......" process. When I clicked on the iPhone in the left pane just to see what space I had available, the meter on the bottom said it had 272 megs in apps and over 14 gigs in "Other"??? I thought that was odd, the thing is actually half full of music and half of videos and I KNOW I had closer to 600 megs of apps.

Anyway, I stupidly clicked eject because this was taking forever and I needed to get to work. Then I saw roughly 2/3 of my apps missing from my phone. I synced it up again and eventually it reloaded all my missing apps.

No REAL harm done, but apps like Super Monkey ball that had the first 60 levels unlocked are now brand new. I suck at this game or else I'd go and unlock them myself. My 5 yr old who did the work is going to be put out.

No big deal I know, there are starving children in the world and my ex is a pain in the @ss, but it's annoying and was curious what "Backing up the iPhone" actually does because it sure didn't restore the apps correctly.

Thanks,
Robb

TheConfuzed1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2003
Yeah, that happens on ocassion. It's really not a big deal.

The other day, my phone was 100% "Other!"

My data was all there though, snug and secure, at the next sync, everything appeared normally.

By the way, you can get the progress back on your games, by restoring from backup.

Right click your phone's icon in iTunes, and choose the option. Select a backup from before this happened.

If you have already synced since then, I'm not sure if you have this option, but it's probably worth looking into.

Luke1robb

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2008
Cambridge, MA/Smithfield, RI
Just curious if anyone else has experienced this and what a workaround you may have found.

This morning I plugged in my iPhone to simply remove Wall-E and put on Horton Hears a Who! for my son. The sync process was taking forever and this was the first time I've noticed this "Optimizing photos......" process. When I clicked on the iPhone in the left pane just to see what space I had available, the meter on the bottom said it had 272 megs in apps and over 14 gigs in "Other"??? I thought that was odd, the thing is actually half full of music and half of videos and I KNOW I had closer to 600 megs of apps.

Anyway, I stupidly clicked eject because this was taking forever and I needed to get to work. Then I saw roughly 2/3 of my apps missing from my phone. I synced it up again and eventually it reloaded all my missing apps.

No REAL harm done, but apps like Super Monkey ball that had the first 60 levels unlocked are now brand new. I suck at this game or else I'd go and unlock them myself. My 5 yr old who did the work is going to be put out.

No big deal I know, there are starving children in the world and my ex is a pain in the @ss, but it's annoying and was curious what "Backing up the iPhone" actually does because it sure didn't restore the apps correctly.

Thanks,
Robb

Maybe you should just start syncing manually to prevent this from happening again... just a thought

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.