Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stanny

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Looking to buy a mac mini. However, of course I ain't gonna pay the high prices of apple displays and apple fancy mice. Can I plug the mini into some cheap dell 17" lcd as well as some entry level logitech keyboard and mouse?

thingsis

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2008
Germany
Hi,

that is just what we are doing. You can use any normal display. It does not even have to be an lcd :rolleyes: . The apple mice are not that good anyway. So you can use any usb mouse out there. With the keyboard it is a little different. Technically, you can use any usb keyboard as well. But as the windows and the alt key are the other way arround on a mac it is a little bit of an inconvinience. So - it works but in the long run you might want to get an apple keyboard.

thingsis

Arcadie

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2008
i honestly love the apple keyboard more than any other i have ever used. I totally agree about the mouse though. Its defiantly worth purchasing their keyboard.. It feels more stable... its hard to explain got to a apple store or bestbey and try one out, youll see what i mean.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
You can use any Keyboard, Mouse, Display.

That is the whole purpose of the Mac Mini, BYODKM, which stands for bring your own display, keyboard and mouse, its another one of those stupid computer geek acronyms like WYSIWIG (What you see is what you get) and GNU (GNU's not Unix).

Back to they keyboard, as I said any keyboard will work but you may need to remap a couple of the keys as Mac keyboards are different from PC keyboards.

Nick.

jonasmac

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2003
Looking to buy a mac mini. However, of course I ain't gonna pay the high prices of apple displays and apple fancy mice. Can I plug the mini into some cheap dell 17" lcd as well as some entry level logitech keyboard and mouse?

Many if not all Logitech keyboard/mouse combos are also spec'd for Mac. I have a cheapie and it even has a command/Apple key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.