Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Guys I'm stumped - i've looked around and can't find a way to get rid of these black boxes ( I think I accidentally hit something on my keyboard:apple:.)

Here are two examples...

Picture3.png

Picture2.png

Thanks ahead of time!

Also, turning off VoiceOver or Zooming didn't work.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Have you turned on high contrast mode in Universal Access by mistake? This is easy to fix. Go into System Preferences, then Universal Access. Uncheck unwanted accessibility options.

TheSandman2236

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Fixed - thanks for the responses guys. It seems the keyboard wasn't wanting to accept cmd+F5 to turn off VoiceOver. Weird..oh well but it worked! :D :apple: Thanks again!

M.Allen

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Oh My GOSH... thank u soooo much wrldwzrd89. I was about to kill myself cuz the voice over came on when i was doing something important so w/ out thinking i checked the "do not ask me again" box and i could NOT figure out how to turn off the voice over.

hanchiumd

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Additional Problem

For me just turning off voiceover was not enough. There was a black box of text that had white text that showed exactly what the voice over was saying. When the voice over was off the text box simply said voiceover off.

BUT THE STUPID BOX WAS STILL THERE AND VISIBLE IN EVERY #_*)T&#)*(!&)!!!!! SCREEN.

Finally I had the common sense to go to system, universal access, voice over utility and found that on the left hand side there is a visuals options and that if you tab over to control panel you can turn the Y#T)&^*)(Y!#@&**$#)(#$!!!!! menu off. How it got turned on in the first place is a mystery to me. I can understand turning on the voice over by inadvertently hitting command F5, but does this turn on that annoying box too? Perhaps.

Orundundj

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2013
Harlem, NYC
Thank you sooooo much!

For me just turning off voiceover was not enough. There was a black box of text that had white text that showed exactly what the voice over was saying. When the voice over was off the text box simply said voiceover off.

BUT THE STUPID BOX WAS STILL THERE AND VISIBLE IN EVERY #_*)T&#)*(!&)!!!!! SCREEN.

Finally I had the common sense to go to system, universal access, voice over utility and found that on the left hand side there is a visuals options and that if you tab over to control panel you can turn the Y#T)&^*)(Y!#@&**$#)(#$!!!!! menu off. How it got turned on in the first place is a mystery to me. I can understand turning on the voice over by inadvertently hitting command F5, but does this turn on that annoying box too? Perhaps.

I don't know how the sound and black strip got on my computer, after I worked on it last night.
I think my cat was annoyed I didn't get up to feed her and said, I'll fix her. I did see my cat on my computer. I won't leave the top up AGAIN!!!

For the few hours I had that voice and black strip, I couldn't do anything! they drove me nuts!!! so as I read on the forum, I feel for the people who had it as long as a year or more.

I'm glad I came across your answer. I was ready to take my Mac Book Pro to the Apple store. I just couldn't figure it out.
Hope you get to see my "Thanks!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.