Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

three-jeeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
I have a 1.5 yo macbook and a iphone 3g. My iphone has been synced with the macbook, and contains all the pictures and itune songs that were originally on the macbook. The HD on the macbook went belly up and I had to install a new HD and reload Leopard. My question is: How do I get all the pictures that are on the iphone IN THE PHOTO LIBRARY AND NOT THOSE TAKEN BY THE IPHONE back onto my Mac?
A similar question is: how do I get all of the music on the iphone back onto the Mac????

The pictures were originally stored on the macbook, and then synced in full resolution mode to the iphone. To reiterate, the pictures are in the iphone photo library, NOT the camera roll. I have been pointed to and tried: senuti, Diskaid, and the iphoto app. None of them are able to see the photos in the photo library.
If this were a Windoz or Linux platform, it would be a non-issue for me. Hmmm, are there any tools under Linxu that talk to the iphone?

(Yes, I know about doing backups...problem is my son is just learning and I was not 'watching' He now knows why they are done and done more than once every 6 mo...).http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif

Thanks for your help....
-J

i-betyar

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2011
Solution

I have a 1.5 yo macbook and a iphone 3g. My iphone has been synced with the macbook, and contains all the pictures and itune songs that were originally on the macbook. The HD on the macbook went belly up and I had to install a new HD and reload Leopard. My question is: How do I get all the pictures that are on the iphone IN THE PHOTO LIBRARY AND NOT THOSE TAKEN BY THE IPHONE back onto my Mac?
A similar question is: how do I get all of the music on the iphone back onto the Mac????

The pictures were originally stored on the macbook, and then synced in full resolution mode to the iphone. To reiterate, the pictures are in the iphone photo library, NOT the camera roll. I have been pointed to and tried: senuti, Diskaid, and the iphoto app. None of them are able to see the photos in the photo library.
If this were a Windoz or Linux platform, it would be a non-issue for me. Hmmm, are there any tools under Linxu that talk to the iphone?

(Yes, I know about doing backups...problem is my son is just learning and I was not 'watching' He now knows why they are done and done more than once every 6 mo...).http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon12.gif

Thanks for your help....
-J

Greetings;

I found your entry and had to register to the forum to answer, so this is my first post.

I had the same problem, i happened to have an app on my iPhone called "PhotoSafe", an app for protecting private photos. You can buy this on appstore.

With this app, you can grab any and all of the photos from your library, transferring them to that app - then you can send them from that app back to your photo library. This time however, they are on the camera roll and thus accessible from any computer. Transfer your photos to your desktop before wiping your iphone.

Admittedly, this is kind of a round-about solution and could take hours if you have thousands of photos, but in light of not finding another solution, this one worked for me.

Hope that helps.

wacky4alanis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2009
You're lucky they were on there in full-res! Most people who do this are appalled to find out that their once beautiful photos have been shrunk to the tiny default iPhone size. My photo library is WAY too big to store on an iPhone in full-res. Mine are backed up to 2 other hard drives.

gslrider

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2005
You're lucky they were on there in full-res! Most people who do this are appalled to find out that their once beautiful photos have been shrunk to the tiny default iPhone size. My photo library is WAY too big to store on an iPhone in full-res. Mine are backed up to 2 other hard drives.

I normally back up my photos to my computer whenever I sync my phone. But even then at full res and about 435 pics (not including apps, music and videos), I still have about 6GB of space left on my 16GB iP4. My pics have never been "shrunk" down. Does the iPhone really do this without you knowing?

three-jeeps

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2009
Greetings;

I found your entry and had to register to the forum to answer, so this is my first post.

I had the same problem, i happened to have an app on my iPhone called "PhotoSafe", an app for protecting private photos. You can buy this on appstore.

With this app, you can grab any and all of the photos from your library, transferring them to that app - then you can send them from that app back to your photo library. This time however, they are on the camera roll and thus accessible from any computer. Transfer your photos to your desktop before wiping your iphone.

Admittedly, this is kind of a round-about solution and could take hours if you have thousands of photos, but in light of not finding another solution, this one worked for me.

Hope that helps.

thank you! I did not know about that app...Sounds like a reasonable solution.

-John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.