Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there any way to 'permanently' re-size Finders windows in Leopard 10.5.6? So that no matter which folder i click on from my desktop they all open a larger default size? At the moment I'm having to re-size them all as i open them.
Example here:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s8/lucsad/Picture1-1.png

Thanks in advance!

No way that I'm aware of to have them open in a fixed default size. Finder windows usually open large enough to contain the information displayed, within screen limits.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
There is a way to permanently resize the Finder window... well kind of. They way to resize the Finder window (the one that pops up when you click the Finder dock icon) is very easy.

- Make sure you have no Finder windows open
- Click the Finder dock icon to open up a new window
- Don't click on any folders or files, just leave it at the default location
- Resize the window to your liking
- Click on something in the window (highlight it). Depending on your default location, this could be something like the folder "Documents" or "System".
- Now click the red Skittle in the top left of the window and exit out.

Your window, the one that pops up when you click the icon, is now permanently resized. You can also do this with the Trash... just make sure you have something in there to click/highlight.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
There is a way to permanently resize the Finder window... well kind of. They way to resize the Finder window (the one that pops up when you click the Finder dock icon) is very easy.

- Make sure you have no Finder windows open
- Click the Finder dock icon to open up a new window
- Don't click on any folders or files, just leave it at the default location
- Resize the window to your liking
- Click on something in the window (highlight it). Depending on your default location, this could be something like the folder "Documents" or "System".
- Now click the red Skittle in the top left of the window and exit out.

Your window, the one that pops up when you click the icon, is now permanently resized. You can also do this with the Trash... just make sure you have something in there to click/highlight.
It will only stay that way until you open the same window and resize it. In other words, you resize and "set" the window. Then later, you open it and have to resize again, perhaps due to a search, or long file names. After you close it with the new size, it will reopen with the new size. Finder remembers the window size from the last time it was open.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
It will only stay that way until you open the same window and resize it. In other words, you resize and "set" the window. Then later, you open it and have to resize again, perhaps due to a search, or long file names. After you close it with the new size, it will reopen with the new size. Finder remembers the window size from the last time it was open.

It only remembers the last window size if something is highlighted before you close the window.

I guess it works great for me because I never resize the finder window, I just set it to what I like and leave it there.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It only remembers the last window size if something is highlighted before you close the window.

It works great for me because I never resize the finder window, I just set it to what I like and leave it there.
Well, in using Finder on a regular basis, searching, sorting, opening folders, getting info on files, etc., it's frequent that something will be highlighted when closing the window. The point is, it's not a permanent setting, like the OP was asking for.

Chase R

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2008
PDX
Well, in using Finder on a regular basis, searching, sorting, opening folders, getting info on files, etc., it's frequent that something will be highlighted when closing the window. The point is, it's not a permanent setting, like the OP was asking for.

Ya I know it's not permanent but it's better than nothing.

Like I said, If you initially resize the window to a size that works so that your not constantly resizing the window... then it works great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.