Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Hi, I just bought my first Mac a few weeks back and the switch has been going good but have had one thing that I can't seem to find any info on...

Is it possible to change the boot order on a Mac like in the BIOS on a PC?

The reason I ask is that when I have my external hard drive connected the bootup time is slower.

Could this be that the Mac equivalent of the BIOS is doing a quick scan of the hard drive first, looking for an bootable operating system? Or is that extra time just OS X mounting the hard drive?

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I believe that the system will always search for available boot volumes on all connected drives before choosing one. That's why the optical drive will spin up as well during the boot process.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yes you can change the boot order. Go to System Preferences —> Startup Disk:

mr_choosebootorder_01.png

If you have other bootable volumes connected they will show up and then you can choose which one you want to use.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Thanks for your replies.

@Alphaod - unfortunately even when you specify the default mac HD, it still looks in the external also.

@BlueRevolution - that's more what I was getting at. Does anyone know how to stop the bootup process from doing this unnecessary check? It doesn't add all that much time to the bootup time but I just don't see much point in checking every connected drive when you can change the boot device by using the boot option keys if you ever needed to.

Thanks again!

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I don't think it's possible, no. This is something that takes place on the firmware level, and isn't something that you want to be messing around with. You'll just have to resign yourself to the extra 5 seconds of startup time, or to leaving the external drive off until the boot process has begun.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
Looks I'll just have to put up with the extra time then :) I shouldn't really be complaining anyway considering I'm used to waiting 10x as long for my old PC to boot up. Thanks again.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
How many times are you booting that this is an issue? You shouldn't be turning your Mac "off" when done, as there are maintenance scripts that run in the early AM (like 3AM) that should be run routinely as they keep your Mac running fast. I think the only time I ever boot is if a software installation requires it. Other than that, no crashes, no BSOD and and no other reason to turn it off as you can control everything else with the Power settings.

Edited to add: I see you are running a Macbook. In that case, you probably WOULD be turning it off more than a desktop. My mistake!

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
How many times are you booting that this is an issue? You shouldn't be turning your Mac "off" when done, as there are maintenance scripts that run in the early AM (like 3AM) that should be run routinely as they keep your Mac running fast. I think the only time I ever boot is if a software installation requires it. Other than that, no crashes, no BSOD and and no other reason to turn it off as you can control everything else with the Power settings.

Edited to add: I see you are running a Macbook. In that case, you probably WOULD be turning it off more than a desktop. My mistake!

Maintenance script runs when Mac OSX Leopard is wake up from sleep. Don't need to keep the computer on just for the scripts.

My MBP rarely reboots. It's either on or asleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.