Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p0mme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
England

For years I've used iTunes' "Create AAC version" .mp3 to .m4a feature in the advanced menu, primarily to reduce the file size of my many thousand mp3 songs.

Since the latest update to iTunes, whenever I do this now, the AAC version file size created by iTunes get larger, and makes the .m4a significantly bigger than an .mp3.
I understood the very point of an AAC/.m4a was to be a smaller sized file of an equivilent .mp3 while keeping a similar quality.

I know large artwork affects the file size, but this still happens regardless of artwork.

Does anyone know what's changed re this feature in this latest update?

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004

For years I've used iTunes' "Create AAC version" .mp3 to .m4a feature in the advanced menu, primarily to reduce the file size of my many thousand mp3 songs.

Since the latest update to iTunes, whenever I do this now, the AAC version file size created by iTunes get larger, and makes the .m4a significantly bigger than an .mp3.
I understood the very point of an AAC/.m4a was to be a smaller sized file of an equivilent .mp3 while keeping a similar quality.

I know large artwork affects the file size, but this still happens regardless of artwork.

Does anyone know what's changed re this feature in this latest update?

Default encoding is now iTunes Plus 256Kbps AAC - previously it was 128Kbps.

To change it, go to Preferences, General, Import Settings...

p0mme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
England
If only all queries were that simple to fix, thank you! :)

Sorry if this seems a stupid question.... but does converting an mp3 to an AAC 256 instead of 128, mean it makes it a better quality?

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
does converting an mp3 to an AAC 256 instead of 128, mean it makes it a better quality?

Unlikely...mp3 is already compressed, so re-compressing a compressed file is generally not a very good idea since you lose additional quality.

--Eric

sandman42

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2003
Seattle
If only all queries were that simple to fix, thank you! :)

Sorry if this seems a stupid question.... but does converting an mp3 to an AAC 256 instead of 128, mean it makes it a better quality?

Yes and no. Converting to 256kbps will be better than 128kbps, but not better than the original MP3. Every time you compress or re-encode you lose something. If you convert your (already compressed) MP3 file to 256kbps AAC you lose a little quality, and if you convert to 128kbps you lose more.

p0mme

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
England
Thanks for the replies, I hadn't realised about the quality being affected when you convert. Useful to know.

billhansen

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
AAC format again

Am I correct that if I have my Preferences in iTunes set to "iTunes Plus" that is the highest quality audio file I can create when downloading?

If that's correct, is that quality(128/256 kbps) available for everything I download through the Apple store? Or do the Apple store "songs" all come through as the original MP3 size of 80/160 kbps?

Bill Hansen

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
Am I correct that if I have my Preferences in iTunes set to "iTunes Plus" that is the highest quality audio file I can create when downloading?

If that's correct, is that quality(128/256 kbps) available for everything I download through the Apple store? Or do the Apple store "songs" all come through as the original MP3 size of 80/160 kbps?

Bill Hansen

The setting is only for songs that you import yourself from a CD.

The process of taking a CD you own and copying it to iTunes is called "ripping". When you buy music online, you are "downloading". (Based on your first statement, I wasn't sure if you knew the difference. If you did, I'm sorry).

All iTunes songs come in 256kbps AAC format.

billhansen

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
RE: " taking a CD you own and copying it to iTunes is called "ripping". When you buy music online, you are "downloading" - YEs, I did know that - but I wasn't being compulsive enough about my word useage. I'm glad the meaning came through.

billhansen

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2011
AAC and iTunes

Oh oh - I hadn't meant to post that last reply yet. The important thing I wanted to say was "Thanks". You answered my question perfectly.

I had thought the default compression was MP3 (didn't know enough to actually check it - I do know now) - so I "made an AAC version" of several albums. There doesn't seem to be any way to check what compression files have in iTunes, and I don't have much music in iTunes anyway - so I'm going to start over and make sure everything's 128/256 kbps.

If anyone knows of a way to check the compression values in iTunes, please let me know.

Thanks again - Bill Hansen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.