Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
Not sure when it changed but checked it this morning and saw this:

"As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year contract. Click the Upgrade Today link to view your upgrade options."

Seems the "no contract pricing" is out the window.

Sweet.

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel

"As a valued AT&T customer, you may be eligible for an upgrade with reduced equipment pricing when signing a 2-year contract. Click the Upgrade Today link to view your upgrade options."

Sweet.

And now, click on the upgrade link and see what king of pricing you get.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
"You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 09/07/2010."

"You are eligible for an early upgrade to an iPhone at a reduced discount. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone at a discounted price on 09/07/2010."

Geez AT&T. KISS.... :rolleyes:

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
"You are not eligible to upgrade at a discounted price due to your length of service. However, you may still purchase a phone/device at the full price. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade at a discounted price on 09/07/2010."

"You are eligible for an early upgrade to an iPhone at a reduced discount. Our records indicate that you will be eligible for an upgrade to an iPhone at a discounted price on 09/07/2010."

Geez AT&T. KISS.... :rolleyes:
What part of "two year contract" did you not understand?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
What part of "two year contract" did you not understand?

What does that have to do with anything? Where did I say I was looking to upgrade and was upset because AT&T isn't giving me upgrade pricing?? Take your know it all attitude somewhere else.

I posted this because there was talk of the upgrade status changing early for AT&T customers. It changed again. I thought people would like to know.

cellocello

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2008
Toronto, ON
I would assume this is all gonna be flipped around once the new iPhone is actually announced and not a "secret" anymore.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
What does that have to do with anything? Where did I say I was looking to upgrade and was upset because AT&T isn't giving me upgrade pricing?? Take your know it all attitude somewhere else.

I posted this because there was talk of the upgrade status changing early for AT&T customers. It changed again. I thought people would like to know.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Given the recent spate of people whining about the contracts they willingly signed less than a year ago, I thought this was yet another complaint. My apologies.

Oh, and just an FYI: know-it-all is actually hyphenated. Ironic, in a way. ;)

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 14, 2008
US
Sorry, I misunderstood. Given the recent spate of people whining about the contracts they willingly signed less than a year ago, I thought this was yet another complaint. My apologies.

Oh, and just an FYI: know-it-all is actually hyphenated. Ironic, in a way. ;)

Ironic how? I may be misunderstanding but I was calling you a know-it-all, not claiming to be one.

As far as the contract goes, I just renewed my contract in January with my 3G so by no means do I have any hopes of getting a discounted price for ANY phone, let alone a new iPhone (if it becomes a reality), nor do I want to upgrade anyway. I'm completely content with my phone (just got my anti-glare screen protector and BSE back shield).

macboy4

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2009
No upgrades for 3G

Those who purchased the original iPhone on or around launch were eligible for upgrade pricing with the 3G because there were no subsidies for the original. So even though we signed a 2-year contract, the reason for NOT allowing upgrade pricing (huge subsidy) didn't exist. That's why I was able to purchase a 3G at the cheapest possible pricepoint even though I still had a year left on my contract. Activating the original iPhone, while committing you to a new 2 year contract, did NOT reset upgrade eligibility. If you were a new customer, you simply had no eligibility date; you were eligible for upgrade the day you purchased the phone. If, like me, you were a current customer your upgrade eligibility didn't change because, for the same reason it didn't reset, you didn't need to be eligible for upgrade to buy the original iPhone.

Activating the iPhone 3G, however, committed you to a two year contract, AND reset upgrade eligibility.

mavis

macrumors 601
Jul 30, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (white): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

cellocello said:
Right. Calling someone a know-it-all but not even managing to hyphenate it correctly. Not a big deal, it just made me chuckle. :)

There, fixed it for you ;)

Touché. :)

LinMac

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2007
The upgrade pricing will most likely be applied to all current iPhone customers upgrading to a new iPhone purchased over X months ago (maybe 10?) and any customer eligible for upgrade on their account.

Do you really think at&t would pass up the chance to sink their claws into you with a new two year contract at the extremely lucrative rates we pay for iPhone services? at&t may be evil, but not dumb.

I may be wrong, but we'll see. I can't imagine at&t turning away a customer wanting to upgrade from an "old" iPhone to a new iPhone by charging $599+ for it considering how much of a killing they're making off the service charges.

bigchief

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
The upgrade pricing will most likely be applied to all current iPhone customers upgrading to a new iPhone purchased over X months ago (maybe 10?) and any customer eligible for upgrade on their account.

Approx. $10 a month of your service charge goes to pay for your $400 iphone which you only paid $199. $10x10=$100, $199 +$100 = $299. Looks like you need to come up with another $100. I doubt they will even do that. I think you'll pay full price for early up grade.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Those who purchased the original iPhone on or around launch were eligible for upgrade pricing with the 3G because there were no subsidies for the original. So even though we signed a 2-year contract, the reason for NOT allowing upgrade pricing (huge subsidy) didn't exist. That's why I was able to purchase a 3G at the cheapest possible pricepoint even though I still had a year left on my contract. Activating the original iPhone, while committing you to a new 2 year contract, did NOT reset upgrade eligibility. If you were a new customer, you simply had no eligibility date; you were eligible for upgrade the day you purchased the phone. If, like me, you were a current customer your upgrade eligibility didn't change because, for the same reason it didn't reset, you didn't need to be eligible for upgrade to buy the original iPhone.

Activating the iPhone 3G, however, committed you to a two year contract, AND reset upgrade eligibility.

This + infinity. The only slight tweak is that if you're a preferred customer or in good standing you can be eligible for an upgrade/subsidized price in 18 months. I bought the 3G launch day and my current upgrade date is 12/12/09. I don't understand why people don't see the pricing difference between the original iPhone and the 3G.

ViPa

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2007
it says you MAY be eligible..just give at&t a quick call..you'll know for sure

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA

Sweet.

"YOU MAY BE"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.