Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulHughes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2009
Ok, I know - sorry to talk in PC language...

Is there an equivelant to the Task Manager? How do you load it up?

Reason I ask - Sometimes firefox won't respond and I have to make it force quit. I Hold APPLE or OPTION or CONTROL and click the icon, then it lets me force close...

Anyway, is there a list of shortcuts or at least the one I'm asking about???

Thanks...

Paulie

That-Is-Bull

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor.

If you right-click the icon while it's open you can set it to show a pie chart of RAM usage, I always have it open on that. I don't think there's a keyboard shortcut for opening it, but you can use Spotlight by pressing CMD + Space, then typing in the first few letters of the application and pressing enter. There's also a "Force Quit..." option in the Apple menu that shows a list of all open applications and lets you force quit one from there.

cherry su

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2008
Macs have an Activity Monitor, similar to Task Manager. It's found in the Utilities folder in the Applications folder.

krogren

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Ok, I know - sorry to talk in PC language...

Is there an equivelant to the Task Manager? How do you load it up?

Reason I ask - Sometimes firefox won't respond and I have to make it force quit. I Hold APPLE or OPTION or CONTROL and click the icon, then it lets me force close...

Anyway, is there a list of shortcuts or at least the one I'm asking about???

Thanks...

Paulie

Apple/Command Key + Alt/Option + Escape key will bring up a quick list of the applications you are running, and a Force Quit Application button. That is in Tiger, at least. (10.4.11). I'm unsure of Leopard. It does not give you the information like Task manager though, for that you need to use the Activity Monitor like others have suggested.

krogren

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
Sorry for the double post... It appears that my post reply page never finished loading, but posted the message anyway... If there is a delete button, I don't know where it is.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Apple/Command Key + Alt/Option + Escape key will bring up a quick list of the applications you are running, and a Force Quit Application button. That is in Tiger, at least. (10.4.11). I'm unsure of Leopard. It does not give you the information like Task manager though, for that you need to use the Activity Monitor like others have suggested.

That's it for ya, or use the Apple menu (top left) and select force quit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.