Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MikeMacPL

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 13, 2009
I recently bought a iMac and I'm still learning how to use this OS. The question is can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC or do I need to install something like Skype?
Also when I chat, is there a way to screengrab something so I can show something over the webcam?

Benguitar

Jan 30, 2009
I recently bought a iMac and I'm still learning how to use this OS. The question is can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC or do I need to install something like Skype?
Also when I chat, is there a way to screengrab something so I can show something over the webcam?

Yes it can indeed. If they are using AIM. ;)

Edit-

No you can't show a PC user something using "screen share" but you can video chat with them.

eleven7

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Japan
You can also chat with people that use google-talk, and a host of other windows/linux based IM chat application. No voice chat on google-talk though, well not that I've been able to work out :mad:

cdcastillo

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2007
The cesspit of civilization
...can I use iChat to chat with someone using a Windows PC...

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: You need to understand the difference between IM clients and IM networks.

iChat is a Client, the same as Adium, Skype, gTalk, AIM, Mercury, MSN Messenger, Yahoo messenger, etc.

Now, an IM network is different. Altough many networks share their name with their client, e.g., skype, MSN, Yahoo, etc, they should not be misstaken.

Now, by default you can use iChat (client) on AOL IM network (the same network as mobileme), Google talk network and any Jabber network (or server, I won't go into much detail here because I could get all confused).

Adium (free IM client) can be used on practically ANY network. On the other hand, MSN Messenger, Skype, and Yahoo Messenger clients can only be used on their own network.

By setting a jabber account on a server that supports MSN and Yahoo transports (think of transports as a way to hijack onto an IM network), you can use iChat with MSN and Yahoo networks (I know this because that's my setup).

Did any of these makes any sense to you? I hope it does, otherwise, tell us so we can try to clarify it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.