Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macpdaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2009
After searching the web last night I was unable to locate a clear guide on how to open the case of a G5 iMac with iSight.
These cases are different than the older iMac's which have removable backs, or the newer ones which you simply lift up and away.
This generation of iMac DOES have a magnetic latch system.
Myth - You need special tools? :eek: - BUSTED - everyone has access to the tools needed.
1.) You will need a phillips head screwdriver to remove the memory door. Do this first and remove the memory installed.
2.) Use a T10 torx driver to remove the remaining screws on the bottom of the iMac.

You will need at least one very strong magnet to do the next step. On some threads these are rumored to be "special" and so dangerous that they can't be air shipped... wrong again. It's very likely if you are the type of person that is going to take apart an iMac, you have some that you can use right now.
The rare earth magnets found in most hard drives will work just fine. I found an old 4gb drive and removed these magnets from it.
3.) Place the magnet on the FRONT of the iMac at the top edge about 2 inches in from the corner. You will need to do this on both sides to release the catches. When I placed the magnet I could hear an audible click, you need to pull the front away from the back before removing the magnet as the latch will engage once the magnet is away. I used one magnet and just lifted the case on one corner at a time.
BE VERY CAREFUL AS THE iSIGHT WIRES WILL NEED TO BE DISCONNECTED BEFORE REMOVING THE FACEPLATE COMPLETELY. Use care with the magnets as they are very strong.
Look for other guides out there to remove more components, I have yet to dive in past the case.

I hope this helps everyone get past the first step of any DIY repairs on this iMac. :D

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
If that is the same one I am thinking about, that has the latches inside the vents on the back, we used to just use a stiff card (or a couple cards taped together to make it stronger) to release those latches by sticking them in those vents on both sides (and sliding them across the vents). At least, we never had earth magnets specifically for repairs (although we did dismantle plenty of hard drives to remove their magnets for ***** and giggles).

macpdaddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2009
If that is the same one I am thinking about, that has the latches inside the vents on the back, we used to just use a stiff card (or a couple cards taped together to make it stronger) to release those latches by sticking them in those vents on both sides (and sliding them across the vents). At least, we never had earth magnets specifically for repairs (although we did dismantle plenty of hard drives to remove their magnets for ***** and giggles).

I'm sure there are other ways to open the case, but the magnets work great! Just place them, click, and the case comes open... I tried using a card and couldn't get it to separate... Likely didn't know the correct angle or location...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.