Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilchub101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
Hey all I have a Ibook g4 that got trashed the scree stoped working it would flicker on and off so i tryed to fix it and made it worse because I have not skill so I then pulled the HD and put it in a pc laptop I have I am now trying to get files off it through linux i tryed ubuntu because that is the only thing i have used but it is way to slow on my laptop because the cd drive is older then time so I tryed dsl and puppy linux but don't know how to mount the drive it shows up in the bios but not when i try to use the simple mount tool in puppy or dsl I know this is a mac fourm but I am hoping someone has done this before thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
You could use an external HDD (ATA / IDE) enclosure for USB and get the data off that way.

Or you can use your iBook as external enclosure using Target Disk Mode.

I don't know about the Linux way, maybe a Linux forum could help you too.

And proper punctuation, paragraphing and formatting. The reading experience will be enhanced and your message/question easier to be understood.

melchior

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2002
in ubuntu you should be able to just mount it, but i haven't used ubuntu for a while... in the terminal try these

Code:
sudo mkdir /mnt/macdisk
Code:
fdisk -l
you should at this point identify your drive, it will be /dev/hda# where # is a number.
Code:
sudo mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda# /mnt/macdisk

and you will have one mounted HFS+ volume.

your problems will occur if the disk is journaled or was not unmounted correctly last time it was used.

an easier option may be to install a demo of MacDrive on a windows computer, if that's what you have available.

lilchub101

macrumors member
Original poster
May 11, 2009
thanks

I will try this later. I am sorry about the spelling and such I will also space things out better next time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.