Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Hi,

Recently got an iBook and played around with it for a bit. I then decided to sell it, so I restored OS X to default using the discs supplied with the laptop. Now I've flip-flopped again and decided to keep it.

It seems, however, to be missing most of the programs that came pre-installed (THPS4, Deimos Rising, AppleWorks, etc). This doesn't really bother me, and I'd probably rather have the extra hard drive space, but I found it strange. Did I do something wrong in the system restore process? Does this always happen?

Thanks for any help.

- Chris

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
You either didn't use all the disks or you don't have all the disks. OS X is 2 CDs and Software Restore is 3. All that stuff is on there though.

minya

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2004
Horrortaxi said:
You either didn't use all the disks or you don't have all the disks. OS X is 2 CDs and Software Restore is 3. All that stuff is on there though.
Ah... okay. I was wondering about that. I was given 2 Software Restore discs, but IIRC, I only had to use one. :confused: Ah well. It's not too big of a deal.

- Chris

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Restore DVD/CD for new 12" iBook

Since the new 12" iBook only comes with a 40 GB as a standard edition, I would like to know the restore CD/DVD which comes with the iBook can give you options which programs you can install. I don't want Apple Works, tria version of MS Office, Quicken. I am not sure how the restore DVD/CD gives you options for a current 12" iBook. Or, do I need the third party program to do this?

20rogersc

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2005
Brighton, UK
On mine which is the old one if you needed to do a clean install, you had to do a 'custom install' to select to put on M$ Office trial, and soem other apps.

::20ROGERSC::

terriyaki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2005
Vancouver
Horrortaxi said:
Wait.. what? So you're supposed to get three CDs with the new iBooks?

I only got two...

What? Can someone please explain this to me.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
20rogersc said:
On mine which is the old one if you needed to do a clean install, you had to do a 'custom install' to select to put on M$ Office trial, and soem other apps.

::20ROGERSC::
So, for the current 12" iBook, does it restore DVD or CD has the custom install option to opt out from M$ Office, Quicken, Apple Works, some others (if any)? For the current iBook owners, please chime in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.