Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
I'm trying to burn this project I have made in iMovie and iDVD. I have everything ready to go, but when I insert the blank DVD-R, the computer spits it back out.

When I just insert the disc without iDVD open, I get the little popup that tells me I have inserted a blank DVD, and ask me what i would like to do.

Is there any way that I can burn this and watch it on a consumer home system? I have to present this to my boss at 10am tomorrow.

Help!!

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
That is weird. The only thing I can think of is to ask if all of your software is patched with the latest updates? Other than that, I have no useful ideas. Sorry.

KC9AIC

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2004
Tokyo, Japan or Longview, Texas
Don't Panic

Relax. The pop-up is normal behavior for blank media. The settings for what the computer will do are in the "CDs & DVDs" section. You can set behavior (to open iDVD, for example) under "When you insert a blank DVD:" Then, insert the DVD, let it open iDVD, and burn your disc. Hope the boss likes it!

punkmac

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
blank media pop up

or just click "ignore" if it is asking you to name your dvd.

Then you can con't to burn your iDVD project.

Good Luck!

I.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Mike Teezie said:
I'm trying to burn this project I have made in iMovie and iDVD. I have everything ready to go, but when I insert the blank DVD-R, the computer spits it back out.

When I just insert the disc without iDVD open, I get the little popup that tells me I have inserted a blank DVD, and ask me what i would like to do.

Is there any way that I can burn this and watch it on a consumer home system? I have to present this to my boss at 10am tomorrow.

Help!!

i got this problem too. i get this problem (only) if i use really cheap dvd-rs.

try getting a more expensive dvd-r...

boberto4

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2004
I know the answer.

Using iDVD you actually have to use a standard apple DVD-R for your first burn. We ran into this same problem at my school when we were trying to save money on DVD-Rs while burning a school show. After you burn this first copy you can use any DVD-R for the rest of the duplicates. However, the first burn MUST be on an APPLE DVD-R.

Hope this helps,

Newbie Robert

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Hmmm, we used StarLight DVD-R's for our first couple burns, no problem here. Have you tried another disk though? It may have some issues.

JW

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
I assume iDVD just doesn't like the media, it still wont work.

What are some good brands to check out?

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
boberto4 said:
Using iDVD you actually have to use a standard apple DVD-R for your first burn. We ran into this same problem at my school when we were trying to save money on DVD-Rs while burning a school show. After you burn this first copy you can use any DVD-R for the rest of the duplicates. However, the first burn MUST be on an APPLE DVD-R.

Hope this helps,

Newbie Robert

Not true....On two different machines I have used Fujifilm DVD-R for their very first iDVD burn (4x media) and had absolutely no problems at all.

Cheers!

James

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Mike Teezie said:

Help!!

What brand, exactly are you using, and also what machine? I ask for a reason... the finder can use more DVD media types to burn DVD's than iDVD can.

For example, with the newest PB editions that have the 4x DVD burners, you can use DVD+R (note the plus sign) media to burn data DVD's in the finder, but they will NOT work with iDVD. With iDVD you have to use DVD-R (note the dash) or some other types for it to work.

This sounds like the type of thing you are running into... the finder recognizes the disc and can work with it, but iDVD cannot.

More info please!

James

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 20, 2002
James, you nailed it.

These DVDs are Imation and they say DVD+R on them.

Thanks for the help! Now I just need to go pick up some DVD-Rs.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
Mike Teezie said:
James, you nailed it.

These DVDs are Imation and they say DVD+R on them.

Thanks for the help! Now I just need to go pick up some DVD-Rs.

Keep the DVD+R though.... might as well use them for backup or data DVD's, and who knows, future updates of iDVD or OSX might allow you to use them with iDVD yet.

idkew

macrumors 68020
boberto4 said:

Hope this helps,

Newbie Robert

no- i have never used an apple dvd. i have never had a failed dvd burn in 50+

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
James L said:
What brand, exactly are you using, and also what machine? I ask for a reason... the finder can use more DVD media types to burn DVD's than iDVD can.

For example, with the newest PB editions that have the 4x DVD burners, you can use DVD+R (note the plus sign) media to burn data DVD's in the finder, but they will NOT work with iDVD. With iDVD you have to use DVD-R (note the dash) or some other types for it to work.

James

uh, where is this documented that the finder can burn dvd+r? i checked the system profiler and my 1,5 ghz pb says dvd-rw...

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
uh, stick in a blank DVD+R, open disc utility, and look at the list on the bottom of the window. DVD+R is clearly listed. See attached Pic.

Next up, I have done it, 7 times so far. I have had no luck burning DVD+R with iDVD (apparently you can with iDVD Studio Pro or so I am told), but I have had no problems burning data DVD's in the finder with DVD+R.

Finally, here is a link to a bunch of other people who have done it:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=211051&DVD+R

Attachments

• DiskUtilityDVD+R.gif
    DiskUtilityDVD+R.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 100

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
DVD+r discs work fine with Toast etc for data, but not with Superdrives attempting to burn DVD-video discs, which must be DVD-r.

This may change in the near future, but DVDSP2 won't use DVD+r, maybe DVDSP3 will, I'm waiting fort the upgrade.

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
WinterMute said:
DVD+r discs work fine with Toast etc for data, but not with Superdrives attempting to burn DVD-video discs, which must be DVD-r.

This may change in the near future, but DVDSP2 won't use DVD+r, maybe DVDSP3 will, I'm waiting fort the upgrade.

Thanks, I was wondering about Studio Pro.

I don't use toast, I have used the finder for all my DVD data burning and the DVD+R have worked fine. Hopefully iDVD and Studio Pro will add support for more media formats soon!

Cheers,

James

p.m.withagen

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2004
Does anyone know a DVD-RW brand that works?

I have the same problem, some time ago I had no trouble burning DVD's with iDVD. I mostly used DVD-RW from Maxwell. After installing panther the trouble begun (also tried to uninstall and return to original installation).
Now I can only burn a cheap brand DVD's which won't run on a DVD-player :-((
The expensive method that I use now:
burn a cheap DVD and copy it to an other DVD, using Toast. It works, but for how long. This way I have to use 2 DVD's for burning one!

Does anyone know which brand DVD-RW (mark the W) I can use??

Greetz,
Peter

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
James L said:
Thanks, I was wondering about Studio Pro.

I don't use toast, I have used the finder for all my DVD data burning and the DVD+R have worked fine. Hopefully iDVD and Studio Pro will add support for more media formats soon!

Yeah, I'm expecting Apple to update DVD SP soon with support for dual layer DVDs (I'm only assuming that this currently isn't supported - I don't use DVD SP). I'm also half-expecting the new Power Mac G5s to have DL drives :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.