Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the-edge2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Kennesaw, GA USA
Ok, I am slightly a noob when it comes to this stuff but I have so far figured out by myself how to j/b my 3GS, how to use Cydia, install winterboard, search cydia to find and try out all kinds of crazy themes, ect. so I am pretty good at figuring this stuff out. My question is when I download some of the themes, they say it comes with 250+ or 1000+ icons but I cannot figure out how to sort through these individual icons and assign them to a certain app. Do I have to use openssh or diskaid and go into the file system of the iphone and change things around? I have checked sites such as hackthatiphone and hackulo.us but cannot find a good tutorial on this. Can you guys help me out or point me in the right direction of a good tut? Thanks!!!

the-edge2010

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2008
Kennesaw, GA USA
When I install a theme, that does happen but I am pretty sure that with a j/b iphone you can go in and change almost anything around including an apps icon. I just do not know exactly how to do it or find a good tutorial on how to do it. What I am figuring is that I have to install and use OpenSSH and then go into the file system of the iphone and mess with .png files, but I am not dumb enough to start messing with that stuff without knowing exactly what I am doing. So any more help would be GREATLY appreciated.

siorai

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
Just poke around when in your phone through your FTP app. There are the application folders for each app. Inside those you will find the icon.png. Change that to whatever icon you want. Be warned though that changing the actual app icons is not recommended as it can cause problems later on when updating apps.

Speedracer04

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Michigan
Go into:

Library/Themes/yourtheme/icons/

You should see all of the icons for the apps in that folder. You can add new icons and they will update on your springboard after a respring or restart. Be sure to name theme EXACTLY as you see the app named, icon names are case sensitive

If you have an icon in the icon folder, but not showing up on your springboard for the correct icon, you have done something wrong, usually just misspelled the icon name or something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.