Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
So my fiancee decided she wants her iPhone jailbroken. I've jailbroken mine several times now, and I feel that I know what I'm doing..

However, with her phone, when I open up redsn0w and load up the IPSW, it goes through the steps like "Hold the power button for 5 seconds".."Hold the power AND home button for 10 seconds".."Release the power button, but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds"

With my fiancee's phone, it doesn't reboot after I release the power button while still holding the home button.. And redsn0w just stalls at "Waiting for reboot"

Heeeeellpppp!

ichabodkky

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Are they the same model of iPhones? I tried to jailbreak my sons 3G with redsn0w .8 and it did the same thing. I downloaded 7.2. and it worked for his phone. Restore the phone in iTunes.... and make sure you have the correct ipsw. My 3GS errored out the same way when I tried to use the 3G ipsw with redsn0w .8.

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Are they the same model of iPhones? I tried to jailbreak my sons 3G with redsn0w .8 and it did the same thing. I downloaded 7.2. and it worked for his phone. Restore the phone in iTunes.... and make sure you have the correct ipsw. My 3GS errored out the same way when I tried to use the 3G ipsw with redsn0w .8.

Both are iPhone 3G running the 3.0 firmware.

I had jailbreaken hers back when she was running 2.1, but then she wanted to upgrade to 3.0 and I told her I'd re-jailbreak it afterwards. I'll try it again though, wish me luck!

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
Same issue coming up... Should I try restoring the phone and doing it again?

chrisms

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2009
So my fiancee decided she wants her iPhone jailbroken. I've jailbroken mine several times now, and I feel that I know what I'm doing..

However, with her phone, when I open up redsn0w and load up the IPSW, it goes through the steps like "Hold the power button for 5 seconds".."Hold the power AND home button for 10 seconds".."Release the power button, but keep holding the home button for 30 seconds"

With my fiancee's phone, it doesn't reboot after I release the power button while still holding the home button.. And redsn0w just stalls at "Waiting for reboot"

Heeeeellpppp!

It's hold down both for 10, then hold down home for 10, that might be your problem

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
It's hold down both for 10, then hold down home for 10, that might be your problem

I'm going by what redsn0w is telling me.. I'll try your way..

EDIT
-----
redsn0w starts the countdown at 30, but stops at 20 and goes to the next step, where it still stalls at "waiting for reboot", and the iPhone is in the off mode.

Arggghhhhh

EDIT AGAIN
------------
So after redsn0w stalls at "waiting for reboot", and the iPhone is in the off mode, I just went through the DFU steps again (Power, Power+Home, Home) and now it's working.... straaaange. Well thank you for the help guys! My fiancee won't hate me after all for ruining her jailbreak powers hehehe.

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN
------------------
So now her phone is taking an extra long time at the "Jailbreaking your phone" part of redsn0w, the phone's backlit screen is lit, but there is no activity.. I'll give it 20-30 minutes before I come back and update again..

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
So after 15 or so minutes, the screen just went black and it went back to the lockscreen, without Cydia installed, so I'm assuming the jailbreak failed, ugh...

Any ideas?

Fungie

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2007
Newcastle
what to do when her iPhone doesn't like you?

:> so many people have problems with redsn0w??!?!? Try using Pwnage - it works on my phone and since your girlfriend's iPhone is now stuck on a half way bridge you might as well. Remember to restore her iPhone back to firmware 3.0 - which you can get from link below. THEN do the jailbreak again >.>

iPhone 3G 3.0 Jailbreak!!

So here's instructions that are relatively idiot proof:

1 ------ So first go to: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/635661-how-jailbreak-iphone-firmware-3-0-pwnagetool.html

Download Pwnage + Firmware and follow instructions.

+++ Even if you phone was jailbroken before - it's best to choose "no" when Pwnage asks if it was jb before.

2 ------ THEN - don't sync your applications yet, I had tons of cracked apps and waited but it doesn't sync... since obviously you need another program. So now go into Cydia:

Click on "Manage"
Tap ''Sources''
Choose "Edit"
Choose "Add"
Type "http://cydia.hackulo.us"
Tap "Add Source"
Wait....
Back to Cydia
Click "Changes"
Press on AppSync 3.0
Install at own's risk....
Wait some more.............
Reboot...
SYNC AWAY
Dont worry this actually works well.. I tested it!

For pretty pictured guide: http://hackulo.us/idiotsguide/viewarticle.php?a=addhackulous

Astin

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 26, 2009
:> so many people have problems with redsn0w??!?!? Try using Pwnage - it works on my phone and since your girlfriend's iPhone is now stuck on a half way bridge you might as well. Remember to restore her iPhone back to firmware 3.0 - which you can get from link below. THEN do the jailbreak again >.>

iPhone 3G 3.0 Jailbreak!!

So here's instructions that are relatively idiot proof:

1 ------ So first go to: http://www.modmyi.com/forums/iphone-news/635661-how-jailbreak-iphone-firmware-3-0-pwnagetool.html

Download Pwnage + Firmware and follow instructions.

+++ Even if you phone was jailbroken before - it's best to choose "no" when Pwnage asks if it was jb before.

2 ------ THEN - don't sync your applications yet, I had tons of cracked apps and waited but it doesn't sync... since obviously you need another program. So now go into Cydia:

Click on "Manage"
Tap ''Sources''
Choose "Edit"
Choose "Add"
Type "http://cydia.hackulo.us"
Tap "Add Source"
Wait....
Back to Cydia
Click "Changes"
Press on AppSync 3.0
Install at own's risk....
Wait some more.............
Reboot...
SYNC AWAY
Dont worry this actually works well.. I tested it!

For pretty pictured guide: http://hackulo.us/idiotsguide/viewarticle.php?a=addhackulous

I'm running Windows, not OSX.. so that pwnagetool won't work.. Hmm..

-----
EDIT
-----

Ok, after reading through that link, I noticed a slight difference between the ISPW I was using, and the one that was in the forum.. I was using iPhone1,1_3.0 and in the thread it stated iPhone1,2_3.0

Now it's working, hoorah!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.