Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
Sorry for asking a noob question, but I already have five computers licensed to my itunes (Mac Pro, Macbook Pro, MBA, and two PCs). Does ATV count against this five license limit? I would like to buy a couple of ATVs to connect them to TVs but didn't know if I could authorize them.

Also, I've bought a ton of TV shows and movies from itunes so my library is currently about 800 gigs. Will any external HD connect to ATV or is something I should be looking for?

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
The apple tv does not count against the 5 authorized computers. Also the apple tv in its stock configuration will not accept a usb hard drive. You would need to stream all of that content from a computer running itunes to the apple tv. If you hack your apple tv you can use a USB hardrive with the apple tv but the players that can access this drive will not play DRMed content as far as I know.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
The Apple TV, iPhone and iPod product lines do not count against your five machine authorization limit. In fact, there's no theoretical limit as to how many of these devices you can have. :D

tjax

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2009
ATV Upgrade

hey madoka....the other folks answered your question about your 5 but there is also a way to upgrade your ATV.

You can install up to a 320GB drive. I've done it and it works flawlessly. I did the entire upgrade myself and you can also have the tech folks do it for a cost...check out MacSales.com and search for AppleTV upgrade or use the included link. Enjoy!

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/APLTV320UPGOWC/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.