Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
how would you know If the phone is jailbroken or factory unlocked? Can jailbroken phones be updated through iTunes? Do I have to jailbreak it everytime an update on firmware is done?

u49aa2

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
Between Heaven and Hell
how would you know If the phone is jailbroken or factory unlocked? Can jailbroken phones be updated through iTunes? Do I have to jailbreak it everytime an update on firmware is done?

1) Jail break is not the same as unlocking. I guess you mean software unlocking vs. factory unlocking. To the check, connect the iphone to itune and make sure the automatic update is on. If the phone is software unlocked (with jail break) it will restore and relock again. However, if it was factory unlock it won't. Also software unlocked phone will normally have installer and cydia app icon (though people can hide them)

2) with software unlocking and jail breaking, yes you will need to unlock and jail break after each update (that's if you want the update)

3) with factory unlocked phone you will have the peace of mind of using any sim you want and updating whenever you want without the phone being locked ever.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio

1. Jailbreaking and unlocking are two completely different things. If the phone is Jailbroken, you will most likely see a brown icon called "Cydia". Cydia is the program that lets you install all of the jailbroken features.
2. If jailbroken phones are updated through iTunes, the jailbreak is lost.
3. Yes, however, jailbreaking is a very simple and relatively fast process, so doing it after every firmware update is not all that much of a hassle.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
in other words the only way to unlock a phone is to jailbreak it? is there any risk if i bought a phone jailbroken already? how can i distinguish if the phone is jailbroken or factory unlocked when im still in the store without access to itunes? the store is g-world in hong kong. they are selling unlocked iphone for HKD7200. anyone here bought from them?

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
If your buying the phone from HK (in an apple store) then it will be factory unlocked.

Apple dont sell jailbroken phones because its not supposed to be done, which is way factory unlocked iPhones costs a hell of a lot of money.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
apple only sells it online in hong kong. and g-world is a store saying that theirs is also factory unlocked. anyway that i could check if its factory unlocked? their price is HKD1000 on top of Apple online store price but they have units in stock. since apple online have to wait for 1 to 2 weeks shipment, i wont stay in hong kong that long.

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
well then just open it in the shop as soon as you buy it - if the box is sealed and your uk sim works in the phone, you can be pretty sure it is apple unlocked

if the box is already open, they could have jailbroken and unlocked it - therefore making it not apple unlocked

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Bought the iPhone 3gs and it was sealed. No cydia app installed. Any sum works. How can I check if this is factory unlocked? Or it sure is since I can use any sim without the cydia app? Thanks no access to itunes yet since I am out of the country now.

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
Bought the iPhone 3gs and it was sealed. No cydia app installed. Any sum works. How can I check if this is factory unlocked? Or it sure is since I can use any sim without the cydia app? Thanks no access to itunes yet since I am out of the country now.

Again, if it is sealed, then that means that it hasn't been touched by anybody outside the Apple factory. Meaning that if any SIM card works in it, it is factory unlocked.

If it is not-sealed, and they claim it's factory unlocked, but there's no Cydia, they might have just "poofed" it. So if it was not-sealed, then the only way to check is through iTunes. Restore it. If any SIM card works, it's factory unlocked. If only the provider of that country works, then it's locked, and it wasn't factory unlocked.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Yes the fact you can use ANY sim card and there being no cydia app or the like it's factory unlocked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.