Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Original poster
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
This is really bugging me. The default font is 10 for Numbers and it's a little small. So I'm in the process of making/editing a spreadsheet for all the medical schools I'm applying to and I keep having to manually change the font to 12.

I made a new blank template and just changed the font size (from Format --> Font) to 12, saved the template, and then opened a blank document from that template but it still is size 10.

I'm confounded that it is this difficult to change the default font. But maybe I'm just missing something obvious?

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
MBHockey, I'm interested in this as well. It seems that Word 08 was/is a little easier to change the default template to something that's specific to the user's needs than is Pages. I'll be following this thread to see what responses you get.

coffeemonster

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
changing the defaults on iWork '09

Ok, this is actually pretty easy, it's just not exactly where you'd first think to look.

1. Open your program of choice from iWork.
  2. Get all the settings the way you want them to be as default
  3. File > Save As Template
    (go ahead and stick this in the default My Templates and name it something indicative like TimesNewRoman-font12)
  4. Go to Preferences (Cmd+,)
  5. In the General tab, select the Use Template button under NEW DOCUMENTS and click the "Choose" button
  6. Go find your new template in the My Templates folder (or wherever you fancied was a good place to put it)
  7. Click the template, click "Choose" and you're home free!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.