Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Vonage, a digital phone services provider, has put out a brief press release stating that Apple has approved its iPhone app. The app is not yet available in the App Store and Vonage notes that it "is currently conducting a beta test and general availability will be announced at a later date."

It was revealed just last week that Vonage had submitted an iPhone app to the App Store for approval. The Vonage app will join the Skype app in offering VoIP connectivity to iPhone users and will likely share its Wi-Fi-only restriction. This restriction is required by an agreement with AT&T to not allow customers to use AT&T's network to initiate or terminate VoIP sessions, which was divulged recently in Apple's response to an FCC inquiry surrounding its purported rejection of the Google Voice app.

Article Link: Vonage VoIP App Approved by Apple

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
"The Vonage app will join the Skype app in offering VoIP connectivity to iPhone users and will likely share its Wi-Fi-only restriction."

Cool. Makes perfect sense. :apple:

Power to the Wi-Fi !!!!!!! :cool:

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
how much is it to call landlines or people who don't have skype?

I don't use it much, but I can call landlines in the US from the US via Skpye for free.

I use Skype for all my 1-800 conference calls during the day. It's actually a more reliable connection that ATT in my home.

Figures.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I have vonage for both my home phone and my business line. I am guessing this will work the same as their softphone software which is great news for me. I can get rid of my main line and just pay 9.99 a month for a softline since both my wife and I have iPhones.

Can't wait to see the features of this. Hopefully Vonage doesn't screw everyone and come out with some stupid plan that requires a home line to get a softline. Looking on their website it looks like new customers have to have the main line to get a softline, but my account still lets me add just a softline without having it tied to my home line.

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
Well, I'm hoping that the app will be able to access the home line, without the need to spend the extra on a softline. We have a home line that it would be nice to be able to tap into from my iPod Touch from time to time when I'm elsewhere...

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Well, I'm hoping that the app will be able to access the home line, without the need to spend the extra on a softline. We have a home line that it would be nice to be able to tap into from my iPod Touch from time to time when I'm elsewhere...

Can you answer your home phone using your iPod Touch (or iPhone) then?
For example, if you are in your house and your home phone is ringing but the phone is in another room, can you just pick up and answer using your iPod/iPhone?

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006
Apple, it's quite stupid to sell 'free' iPhones that can be used with providers that allow voip within their terms of service but then to forbid all applications that would do that.

hsl

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2006
There's also another free SIP/VOIP application so this is not really "new"

XSPhone, it's developped by a Dutch ISP, but it also works with voip-/sip-buster and all other Telephone providers that offer connection through SIP.

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
It'd be interesting if Apple made a VoIP play on the iPod Touch

It could be the ultimate in VoIP phones really.

Can you answer your home phone using your iPod Touch (or iPhone) then?
For example, if you are in your house and your home phone is ringing but the phone is in another room, can you just pick up and answer using your iPod/iPhone?

No-one seems to offer anything like this, though I suspect it's possible.

Most VoIP providers don't allow your home phones to have multiple separate logins - such that a single number rings 3 or 4 separate VoIP handsets simultaneously. Hosted PBX systems can allow that, and usually lose the cost savings VoIP brings (IMO)!. Home voip systems have started offering multiple cordless handsets connected to a single VoIP base - that's no good for multiple iPhone VoIP apps though.

But even with the ability to ring both extensions (a home phone AND iPhone app) simultaneously, mostly the iPhone app is switched off. So the VoIP server needs to attempt to ring both extensions, fail on the iPhone but ring the home phone, and then watch to see if the iPhone extension connects in the next 30 seconds (and if so direct the call to it too).

It's doable, but a little beyond what most programmers seem to do.

btw: I have to wonder why Skype doesn't offer push calls yet. I presume the push notification isn't quick enough to get the phone to "ring", open the app, and answer the call before the caller has given up. I think VoIP will have to be Apple sanctioned as a background app.

sirdir

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2006

I have a 'free' (aka factory-unlocked) iPhone - they sell those in some countries of Europe. So, why should I care wether AT&T likes VOIP on their network, when my carrier allows me to use it?

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
There's also another free SIP/VOIP application so this is not really "new"

XSPhone, it's developped by a Dutch ISP, but it also works with voip-/sip-buster and all other Telephone providers that offer connection through SIP.

These are other voip apps. Australian prices
* Weephone SIP $6 – 3.5star (current) 3star (older) Configurable SIP ports.
* 12Connect Open SIP Softphone: $8 (2star)
* iMC Client – $9 – Requires probably expensive "Mobile Convergence Controller"... http://www.comdasys.com/Products/FMC/index_html?lang=en
* iSip (aka SipPhone) $9 (4star current, 3star older) Runs while in sleep mode too.
* Media5 US ONLY (US$7, A$9) 1.5 star average overall.
* Acrobits Softphone $10 (4 star current, 3 star older)
* iPico SIP Client $13 (1.5star)

GregA

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2003
Sydney Australia
I have a 'free' (aka factory-unlocked) iPhone - they sell those in some countries of Europe. So, why should I care wether AT&T likes VOIP on their network, when my carrier allows me to use it?

Yeah.
In Australia, Three has a package integrating Skype calls via their mobile network. It'd be nice if they allowed Skype on the iPhone at least!

leons

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2009
How do you use Skype to call US Land lines for free? :confused:

I don't use it much, but I can call landlines in the US from the US via Skpye for free.

I use Skype for all my 1-800 conference calls during the day. It's actually a more reliable connection that ATT in my home.

Figures.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Skype World unlimited is $99 a year while Vonage Unlimited is $25 a month.

do you get a phone number? i was looking at getting rid of Vonage, but it's more expensive to use the cell phone during daytime than for vonage

vista.john

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2008
How do you use Skype to call US Land lines for free? :confused:

1-800 number are free... even for regular users... I could be wrong, but that's what I got, no subscription, they don't charge me anything for making 1-800 calls.

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
I have paid for unlimited 3G

I live in Europe, in a country that should not be under the dictatorship of AT&T/Apple. My operator allows me to use 7.2 Mbit/s without restrictions, also Skype on 3G but I have to jailbreak my device to use this. I suggest that Apple adds an AT&T switch in their firmware to allow the free parts of the world to use the iPhone to its full potential.

hanpa

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2009
"The Vonage app will join the Skype app in offering VoIP connectivity to iPhone users and will likely share its Wi-Fi-only restriction."

Cool. Makes perfect sense. :apple:

Power to the Wi-Fi !!!!!!! :cool:

This joke is not funny

Scooterman1

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2008
Houston, Tx
On Broadvoice, you can configure an incoming call to Ring Simultaneously on multiple U.S. phones.
As for dialing out with your iPhone, or the incoming call ringing through your home WiFi connection, this isn't in place.

I live in Europe, in a country that should not be under the dictatorship of AT&T/Apple. My operator allows me to use 7.2 Mbit/s without restrictions, also Skype on 3G but I have to jailbreak my device to use this. I suggest that Apple adds an AT&T switch in their firmware to allow the free parts of the world to use the iPhone to its full potential.

Quoted both for truth and for political irony...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.