Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasony0423

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Hi,
I just switched to Mac, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. I'm tweaking my resume and trying to get it submitted onto Monster, because I'm looking to get out of Ohio and move to another part of the country, call it a nomadic thing, if you will.
I'm having trouble uploading my resume, though. I'm in text editor, but it says the suffix will be .pages and Monster doesn't allow that. I know Macs are supposed to be quirky and all, but I would think there has to be a way to save documents in readily available formats.
I did a search, and all I found was something telling me format --> make plain text, but that doesn't work on mine, because there's no "make plain text" option. I have OSX 10.5.8
Thanks.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
.pages is a file that's normally coming with pages. It's part of the iWork set. So are you in pages or in Text editor. Cause text editor on my mac doesn't even allow a .pages. Only .rtf/.doc and html.

So in pages you should just do save as.

ingenious

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2004
Washington, D.C.
It's not quirky; it's just the format for the application called "Pages," same as .doc is the format for a Word Document.

You can use Pages to Export your file as a Word document (.doc). If you needed to get it into .txt, TextEdit or Word could save the exported file as a plain text document.

germanix

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Hannover, Germany
When you write something in Text Editor or for that matter in the iWork Pages, you go to "File" on the top left hand corner of your screen (right next to Text Editor) and click on it. Then click on "safe as" and on this window you can choose the format you wish to save the document in. here you have the option to save the document as PDF or as Windows text etc etc.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Sounds like a Pages app being used. If that's the case and there are any sort of images or text fields they will all be lost when saved as a text document.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.