Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musukosan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Puyallup, WA
I just downloaded a few episodes of a TV show and one of them is zoomed in a little bit. Like when you hit the zoom aspect button on your TV remote. Is this fixable, or do you think Apple made a mistake and that's just how that episode is?

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
No problem, it's just easier to help if you give people as much information as possible. Unfortunately we haven't got Dexter for download in the UK yet so I can't help you. But now people know which episode your having problems with maybe someone on the forum with the same episode could have a look at theirs and see if it looks zoomed or not. This would then tell you if its a problem with everyones copy or just yours.

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
It may well be that 'zoomed in' or 'cropped' is how it's been provided to Apple by the rights owner. It's unlikely that Apple will have done anything to it themselves.

I downloaded a documentary recently which contains quite a few minutes worth of 'black screen' at different points through out (it's actually the points for TV networks to cut in and show their adverts) lots of complaints went to Apple for cocking it up, but the reality was that that is how the rights owner provided the programme.

Apple cannot go in and re-edit the programme. They can ask for a new copy of course but some rights owners can be absolutely useless and don't usually care a great deal about these things.

The crop ratio on the screen is often a case in point more widely seen on DVD releases where the rights owner has basically bunged out any old version and not cared whether the image is in the correct ratio or not, it is unusual though for 'modern' programmes such as Dexter to have these 'cropping' issues but not unheard of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.