Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
If your iPhone is connected to a bluetooth hands free and you answer a call on screen rather than using the bluetooth device, by default it routes the call through the phone rather than through the bluetooth device. As touching the screen to answer a call can be every bit as convenient as operating the answer button on a bluetooth hands free is there any way of modifying the default behaviour to allow a call to be answered onscreen and yet still be routed through the bluetooth device?

stezza333

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
If I remember correctly, when using my sennheiser Bluetooth headphones to answer a call the phone gives me 3 options to answer. Bluetooth device, phone or speaker phone.

EDIT: I was wrong :p

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
Yes, what you describe is what happens when you dial out from the phone - I'd like the same options when receiving a call and wonder if it is possible?

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
It depends on your handsfree system. In my Nissan pickup I can answer using the iPhone and by default the audio is routed through the bluetooth system. The options are on the iPhone screen to choose otherwise.

Different handsfree systems "talk" to the phone differently I guess.

sjdigital

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 21, 2008
The Caucasus
Hmmm...that is very interesting. The iPhone manual says "When iPhone is connected to a Bluetooth device, outgoing calls are routed through the device. Incoming calls are routed through the device if you answer using the device and through iPhone if you answer using iPhone". With the Bluetooth device I am using I have the option to route through phone or device when calling which seems to go against what the manual says so it looks as though the options when answering may also be device dependent. Now, how to determine which devices offer this capability?

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above I'm given the option on screen but I tap my hands free on my ear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.