Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shivermetimbers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
McChord, Wash
I am curious, I am looking at buying the Mac Box Set to upgrade my iMac 5.1 (early intel iMac) to SL and boost the RAM to 3G versus 1G. Would I see some noticeable performance differences jumping from Tiger to SL? Or would it just run a heck of lot smoother? I know the RAM will help out.

I would be doing a fresh install of Tiger beforehand. Its ran great for 3 years. I am giving this iMac to my mother as her first Apple and want the best. Sorry if this redundant.....

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The RAM will help dramatically.

As for SL, it's almost a no brainer just for all of the leopard features such as Time Machine.

If you think she will use any iLife app, it's worth it.

stubeeef

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2004
I have the same 5.1 iMac, 17" and am running on the edge of overflow with the 160gb hard drive.
I would like to increase the HD to 1tb but the youtube videos make it look too involved, but the cost of having someone else do it is even scarier.
Has anyone do that to the 5.1 and found it easier than they thought?

shivermetimbers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
McChord, Wash
If you're upgrading the RAM for performance reasons it is probably best to go 2 x 2Gb modules to make the most of dual-channel memory architecture.

I thought my 5.1 would only support 3G or RAM max? Unless I misread the manual... Could have....was drinking beer...silly things happen. If it can take dual 2G sticks...that would work great! I was looking at buying my RAM through OWC.

indg

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2007
I thought my 5.1 would only support 3G or RAM max? Unless I misread the manual... Could have....was drinking beer...silly things happen. If it can take dual 2G sticks...that would work great! I was looking at buying my RAM through OWC.

4GB (2x2GB) can be installed, but only 3GB total will be addressable. so go with 1GB + 2GB of PC5300 667mhz DDR2 SO-DIMM. the performance boost from dual channel won't even be noticeable with the 2x2GB pair, so why pay more? even if you went to just 2GB of total ram, you'd notice a big difference in performance coming from 1GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.