Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iboy38

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2009
Waldorf, MD
When my iTunes is downloading podcasts it takes forever now. Normally it would only be a few minutes but today it's like 3 hours. I'm quite sure it's not my internet connection because i"m on full bars on my laptop. What is the problem???

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
Full bars does not equate to Internet connection, only connection to your wi-fi access point. You can be connected to an access point with no Internet access. It could be your connection, your ISP, a fiber break hundreds of miles away, or service problems wherever the podcast is hosted.

If it's bothering you, power cycle your Internet connection (usually unplugging the modem for DSL or Cable modems) as well as your router/access point, and restart your computer, just to load the data fresh and make sure no errors developed in the running system (rare, but happens). If it's still slow, contact your ISP and see if they are having problems.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is it an open network?

Are you running torrents?

Are other people running torrents?

oculus42

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2002
Maine
The hotspot may have introduced throttling of non-web services to keep web pages loading quickly, which is what most customers need/want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.