Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacPrincess888

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 11, 2009
After using my MacBook for about 15 min, it starts to get very hot. Is this normal or should I take it in? It is almost 2 years old, I have Leopard 10.5.8, and this has just started about a month ago. I do have the extended warranty on it, so I know it doesn't hurt to make an appt at the Genius Bar, but I wanted to hear from you if I should go down there or not waste anyone's time! Thanks everyone! :)

backwardsK126

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2009
How old is it? Just wondering because I have the late 2006 model and after working on it for a while the fans spin up like crazy and it really heats up. It might not be anything that can be fixed, unless one of your fans is dead or something like that

prodigee

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
How old is it? Just wondering because I have the late 2006 model and after working on it for a while the fans spin up like crazy and it really heats up. It might not be anything that can be fixed, unless one of your fans is dead or something like that

He said it was about 2 years old.. So I am going to guess that it is from 2007, (simple math). But take it to the Genius Bar, I just think that your thermal pads on there have come to the end of their life and aren't conducting heat from the chips the heat sinks so its getting pretty hot.

You can replace the thermal paste your self but if you have the Apple care, there really is no point in not getting Apple to do it (it should be a same day repair).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.