Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dazzerj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2009
Hi all,

I have an 867MHz 12" G4 PowerBook. I've had the machine from new, some 5 years now. A few months ago whilst using it I got some slight glitches and I think a lock-up (I can't remember the details now, it was too long ago), this caused me to restart at which point I got an error along the lines of something... Couldn't find root user. Sleeping and trying again.

After running a disk repair, which found no problems, the machine lost the hdd all together, so I bought a a replacement hdd and fitted it, reinstalled 10.4 and for a couple of months all was well. I then got a similar error and failure to find the hdd during a reboot. I bought a USB hard disk enclosure, put the new disk in and tried connecting it to my PC to see if it would be recognised by the pc. It didn't register on the pc, so I returned it for a refund assuming it was a faulty disk. A few weeks ago I received my replacement which I installed and again put on 10.4. This disk ran for a week, when the same thing has happened again! missing hdd at boot up

Does anybody have any idea what might be causing this corruption of hard disks?
As soon as I have installed the OS, I run all the upgrades to bring it up to 10.4.11, so that is the OS I'm using, which it appears should not be any problem for this particular PowerBook.

Searching the web, I can't find a definitive identification of the problem. Someone suggested the PRAM battery, but failure of that doesn't seem to manifest in this way... or does it?
Could it be a firmware issue, although I think it is up to date also.

I have to borrow the install DVD from my workplace, so I don't have it available all the time, which makes life a little difficult to diagnose this as I have to return it each day.

My current hard disk, when placed in the USB enclosure, is seen by my work G5 and all seems present and correct.

If anybody can help I would be most appreciative as I love my little PowerBook and miss the Mac OS experience.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.