Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

National Public Radio has updated its NPR News iPhone application [App Store, Free], adding access to live audio streaming of breaking news and special coverage, as well as numerous other improvements.
- Listen live to breaking news and special coverage
- Revised news article view
- Improved audio streaming in low bandwidth scenarios
- Improved playlist stability
- Click the very top of the screen to scroll to the beginning of lists and long articles
- Captions on enlarged images in the News section
- Improved Twitter share screens
- Ability to share many of the program episodes via email, Twitter and Facebook
- Many tweaks to address user requests
- Much more
Upon opening the application, users can be prompted if live breaking news content is available and offered easy access to the streaming content.

NPR News, originally released in mid-August, offers direct access to news articles and radio programs, as well as streaming from the media organization's network of radio station affiliates across the United States.

Article Link: 'NPR News' Update Brings Live Breaking News

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
NPR Rocks!!!

It's great to know that my addiction to all things NPR can now be sustained to an even greater extent by their awesome app. Wohoo!

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Awesome! Streaming live news should be the future. AT&T need not worry because nobody is going to sit there and watch it all day long. People will only check it out every once in a while. Excellent feature. I just hope NPR's servers are ready to handle the traffic if there is a major, major breaking news event and everyone rushes to view the live stream at the same time.

I still hope Apple adds and AM/FM radio to the next iPhone, so we can also listen to breaking news on the radio if the streaming does not work.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So have people settled down to using this more, or Public Radio Tuner more, or both/neither? PR Tuner was amazing in 1.x and now 2.0.1 is a steaming pile of disaster. It crashes a lot, it takes a long time to load up and start streaming music, and if I turn it on and start streaming my music, then lock the phone and put it in my pocket and put my gloves back on, it inevitably crashes or stops playing for some reason and I have to take my gloves back off outside in the cold and futz with it. :rolleyes:

I hadn't gotten around to trying this one, but I'm going to finally give it a try. It's sad, because PR Tuner really was close to perfect before they started adding all the new features.

But OTOH, why does NPR News have such a low avg rating?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.