Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edsummit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
MacBook Pro 13.3/2.36.2X1GB/160/SD

I have had this machine now two months. I had a water spill on the keyboard--a glass of water. I followed steps to let it dry for two weeks. Turning it on now there is a dark monitor, but the machine charges, powers on, and I have backed up the hard drive through target mode. I put a dvd in the optical drive while on target mode, I hear the drive run, and I can see it on the desktop file.

I took it to the Apple Store and they opened the back, showed me corrosion around video cable and said that the warranty would not cover water damage.

1. But they could send it to Apple Care and for a fixed rate ($800). They would replace the logic board, video cable and make sure everything else was running properly. If they do fix it, I can still have full three year warranty that was purchased with the machine.

2. I see a lot of places that advertise liquid spill repair for between $250 and $300 on the web and on ebay. Is this an option? Genius bar says I need to have them replace logic board if I want to continue to have Apple Care warranty. If I go with outside repairs, then I will have no Apple warranty.

3. Is there wisdom in offering the machine for parts on ebay and buying a new machine. I assume that I can get my extended Apple Care refunded.

I am trying to make a good decision. Are there other options? I do not want to go the ifixit route. I find this machine way too complicated to take apart.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would repair it. Because logic board and screen are broken, you would only get something like 100$ off it.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I have a new desktop Mac. Can I use this as an external monitor?

Not really, you need special software which costs money, unless it's Mini or Pro with Apple LED display.

Do you have HDTV? I would buy adapter (tell to the salesman that you're not sure does this work and ask can you return it if it doesn't) and test does it work.

edsummit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
I have a VGA adapter into a digital projector. I also am using my desktop as my TV with eyeTV converter and software. Maybe there is a way to use my desktop this way as an external monitor.

The goal is to see the machine on and use it while on to test the logic board, right?

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
I have a VGA adapter into a digital projector. I also am using my desktop as my TV with eyeTV converter and software. Maybe there is a way to use my desktop this way as an external monitor.

The goal is to see the machine on and use it while on to test the logic board, right?

Yepp. See if it's the display only, which is (potentially) a less expensive fix and worth more to buyers than a potentially bad-bad logic board. If an ext. display works, you've at a minimum got a mini's operability out of it.

edsummit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2009
I will check this out. If it I do see that the machine is working then can I assume that working with an outside of Apple repair place for just the video cable is a good option knowing that I give up Apple Care but I have a machine that works for under say $300?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.