Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I asked the question in another thread and saw someone else ask the same thing, so I thought I'd make a thread of it.

Has anyone been able to get iTunes Extras to work for movies? I have some purchased movies with iTunes Extras content, but it's not showing up in Apple TV.

theLimit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2007
up tha holler, acrost tha crick
I believe you have to re-download the Extras content. Try Store > Check for Available Downloads under iTunes 9.0.2. Apparently the content has been updated to be compatible with AppleTV, and Apple is sending out email to those who purchased such content. I'm just relaying info I found in other threads, as I don't have any iTunes purchased content.

Kahnyl

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
I don't see my LPs anywhere. 'Include iTunes LPs' is checked in iTunes, I checked for downloads and got nothing…I'm lost.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I believe you have to re-download the Extras content. Try Store > Check for Available Downloads under iTunes 9.0.2. Apparently the content has been updated to be compatible with AppleTV, and Apple is sending out email to those who purchased such content. I'm just relaying info I found in other threads, as I don't have any iTunes purchased content.

You're definitely right: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3938

Has anyone gotten their email yet?

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I haven't gotten my email, and there aren't any downloads available in the appropriate menu in iTunes. :-(

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
Honestly how pathetic is this. Did NO ONE at Apple have the foresight to notice that iTunes LP and Extras was something that would be perfect for the Apple TV? Seems like it was done at the last minute, didn't make the keynote, so they had to release the original versions which were not perfectly formatted for the Apple TV. Messed up!

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I just got an email saying I'll be getting an email when everything is ready! That's something I guess.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
I just got my updated iTunes LP from Apple for Pearl Jam - Backspacer and got it working on my Apple TV.

I haven't bought any iTunes Extras movies since the feature launched, so I don't know if those are being updated yet. I bought Wall-e before iTunes Extras was launched and didn't get a free upgrade.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I just got my updated iTunes LP from Apple for Pearl Jam - Backspacer and got it working on my Apple TV.

I haven't bought any iTunes Extras movies since the feature launched, so I don't know if those are being updated yet. I bought Wall-e before iTunes Extras was launched and didn't get a free upgrade.

Have you been able to play songs within the Backspacer LP because nothing is working.

bohbot16

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2009
Have you been able to play songs within the Backspacer LP because nothing is working.

Yes. It gets kind of annoying because you get kicked into the normal "Now Playing" view after about 30 seconds. Pressing Menu brings you back into the iTunes LP.

ebony

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2007
I got my email today from apple stating Iron Man was available for free download, so the Itunes Extra material should now work on apple TV.

I'm not at home so can't test it yet, but it looks like the emails are coming.

As a side point, Apple seem very slow in providing more movies and music with extras. Perhaps this will increase next year with whatever impending new product we may get. I hope so, because I don't mind paying £7 for a film if its got all the extras, I wouldn't pay over that, and especially wouldn't pay more, for less quality and content than that of a dvd.

sanPietro98

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
28.416834,-81.581214
I downloaded the GI Joe movie from Apple TV and it had the Extras in the download. It was much like the menu system of a typical DVD. But the content and menus took a LOOOOONG time to load on the AppleTV.

The Apple TV became completely unresponsive for about a minute while it loaded the menu -- This was even just to play the movie.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Yes. It gets kind of annoying because you get kicked into the normal "Now Playing" view after about 30 seconds. Pressing Menu brings you back into the iTunes LP.

I would report this on the Apple site. It's an easy fix and would really make the whole iTunes LP format (iTunes LP, iTunes Extras) better on AppleTV. If the whole idea is this presentation of content it would suck to have it bump you back to the default AppleTV screens.

cdavis11

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
I was able to get extras working for Wall-E, after giving up on the email and re-purchasing the movie with extras.

My experience has been similar to those above - the extras content is herky jerky and not too reliable. I've been a couple of menus deep and had lag issues that forced me to pull the plug and reboot.

I have found that holding down the play/pause button and using the pop up menu to start the main feature is best...I can never seem to get the movie to play from the extras.

Overall - Meh.

BoulderBum

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2008
I got the email for "Wizard of Oz", though I'm still waiting on several others like "Batman Begins".

I agree with others, however. The performance is pretty poor. Also, selecting some of the options was a little unintuitive (you couldn't click "Deleted Scenes" to get to a sub menu, you had to press left/right to highlight the deleted scenes orb you wanted to view after navigating down to the "Deleted Scenes" option and THEN press "Ok").

That said, I love it! It's neat having the deleted scenes and other stuff you used to get with DVD's.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.