Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
Hey everybody,

I just bought a new 12" pb and i love it. Im looking forward to doing some audio recording and I wondered if anybody can recommend a good simple audio interface for midi and audio. I'd really like something with a built-in preamp so that I can play my guitar directly through it. I need something that works and that wont cost me too much. Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Charlie

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
M-Audio's firewire410 would probably be your best bet.
4 in, 10 out, mic\ 1/4" pre's on the front. and great drivers.

they run about $399. unfortunately getting a good all-in-one with built in preamps isn't going to fit the ultra low-cost zone.

your other option is to get a guitar preamp with line level output and use the 12" PB's built-in 1/8" input.
it IS 24bit and has 2ms latency, and is also quite under rated

fingers

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2004
London
adamjay said:
your other option is to get a guitar preamp with line level output and use the 12" PB's built-in 1/8" input.
it IS 24bit and has 2ms latency, and is also quite under rated

Yeah - I have heard some excellent results from users using the built in inputs. You would as well as needing a preamp to boost the level still need a midi i/f but both could be had pretty cheaply.

If you want to hear what the standard inputs are capable of (driven by a small mixer) check out Richard MacLemale Richard told me that he has since bought an Emagic i/f but there is not a great deal of difference between them. So well done Apple!

I use an MBox which is capable of producing some pretty decent results (and comes with Pro Tools) it doesn't have a midi i/f tho.

I hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.