Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpvtxgirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
After waiting 3 1/2 weeks for my new iMac to show up, I plugged it in and essentially got nothing. It sounded like there was a very faint attempt to power up. Nothing at all appeared on the monitor.

Talked to tech support. Took 20 minutes to get anyone on the phone. Then another 10 minutes for them to tell me I have to send this one back, and then they'll have to make me another one. Was told they'd send me an email with a RA label but two hours later I've yet to receive it and I have no confidence the person I talked to sent it to me or is having it sent to me. That sort of thing typically arrives almost instantly.

I'm wicked irritated.

cruxflux

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2008
It happens with all electronics. Extremely bad luck it seems, I haven't heard of anybody else having the same fate. Usually people make themselves heard when something like this happens.

Lets hope you get a replacement in short order.

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
I think I saw one other post about a DOA 27" i7.

Still sucks. Especially after waiting for weeks.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
I can absolutely understand your disappointment! I would be irritated too.

Apple's customer service is pretty good. You should have another one within 7-10 days.

Bryan

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Ouch and double ouch!!! Really feel for you gpvtxgirl, I would be so disappointed. Is there anyway you could convince Apple to send you out a new one as soon as they have confirmation from the courier firm doing the pick-up of the DOA that they have received the package?

There has been one other report of a DOA posted today on this forum.

BelowTheBelt

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
Ouch and double ouch!!! Really feel for you gpvtxgirl, I would be so disappointed. Is there anyway you could convince Apple to send you out a new one as soon as they have confirmation from the courier firm doing the pick-up of the DOA that they have received the package?

There has been one other report of a DOA posted today on this forum.

Happened once to me, I did ask them to send one once the confirmation was in the FedEx system. Apple said it would not be a problem and I had my second MacPro in 3 days; and to my surprise a $150 gift card in the box.

If I were you I would even feel comfortable asking for a little something over the phone......

Good luck

zek72

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
My 27", i7 iMac arrived yesterday DOA too! I ordered on Oct 20. Left bottom of display was cracked! No damage to exterior or interior box. Spent 60 minutes on the phone with Sales Support and then received two different RMA numbers. Finally, I was told a replacement wouldn't be shipped out for three more weeks!

NJRonbo

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2007
Very sorry to be hearing this. I feel for
all of you as well. Also a bit horrified to
learn Apple isn't putting more expedited
effort into making certain you get a
replacement fast enough.

Keep us updated to what is happening
with your replacements and if Apple has
provided you with satisfactory service.

BelowTheBelt

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2009
Very sorry to be hearing this. I feel for
all of you as well. Also a bit horrified to
learn Apple isn't putting more expedited
effort into making certain you get a
replacement fast enough.

Keep us updated to what is happening
with your replacements and if Apple has
provided you with satisfactory service.

Write an email to media@apple.com, all email as I understand is passed up the line for proper addressing. Media@apple.com is a sure way to have the communications go beyond the drones at the CSR desk.

It's something that you could try, I mean you are being screwed over...... I mean in my eyes you are.

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
After waiting 3 1/2 weeks for my new iMac to show up, I plugged it in and essentially got nothing. It sounded like there was a very faint attempt to power up. Nothing at all appeared on the monitor.
My i7 was DOA in the same way - no external damage but wouldn't power up.

Apple support was *fantastic*. Extremely professional, sympathetic and quick to get to the point of diagnosing and getting an RMA arranged. Apple have this spot on. I can only compare with Dell server support which is similarly well staffed, but costs several grand per year.

I was told that the RMA number will take 24 hours to arrive by email. As it is a weekend there is no reason to worry until Monday at least.

It is disappointing after having pre-ordered three weeks ago but I've always though that you can tell the worth of a company in how they deal with problems and mistakes, because there will ALWAYS be problems and mistakes.

hibbleton

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2007
Terrible to hear about iMacs being DOA. Having a computer ship and be DOA is pretty darn rare - what does it say about your QA team if it won't power up but still manages to pass?

I'm terrified that my iMac will arrive on Monday and be DOA. Knowing my luck...

Juliet1186

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2009

Talked to tech support. Took 20 minutes to get anyone on the phone. Then another 10 minutes for them to tell me I have to send this one back, and then they'll have to make me another one. Was told they'd send me an email with a RA label but two hours later I've yet to receive it and I have no confidence the person I talked to sent it to me or is having it sent to me. That sort of thing typically arrives almost instantly.

I'm wicked irritated.

I've had problems with things ordered thru the internet as well and what I did for it not to take so long was allowed them to charge me twice and once they got the "bad" item back let go of my funds.

sharkync

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2009
Raleigh
Excuse me - since when weren't computers burned in two or three days prior to shipping? This is BS, and anybody suggesting this is occasionally acceptable is also full of it.

nOw2

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2009
Excuse me - since when weren't computers burned in two or three days prior to shipping? This is BS, and anybody suggesting this is occasionally acceptable is also full of it.
It isn't acceptable, hence why Apple immediately replaces the machine.

The burn-in period is not always relevant. Have you seen the way UPS vans are driven? I'm surprised anything makes it out alive.

I've seen Dell servers worth thousands delivered with boot-sized dents in them. I do not suspect that Dell employs people to stamp on them as they leave the factory. Similarly I do not expect that Apple allows a dead machine to ship. Realise that a dead machine likely wipes out their profit margin.

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
It isn't acceptable, hence why Apple immediately replaces the machine.

The burn-in period is not always relevant. Have you seen the way UPS vans are driven? I'm surprised anything makes it out alive.

I've seen Dell servers worth thousands delivered with boot-sized dents in them. I do not suspect that Dell employs people to stamp on them as they leave the factory. Similarly I do not expect that Apple allows a dead machine to ship. Realise that a dead machine likely wipes out their profit margin.

Dead machines = New Refurbs

Tophersky

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2005
Tampa, FL
Went to the local Apple Store (Brandon, FL) tonight with a friend to pick up a new 27" Quad Core iMac for his wife's birthday.

Got the machine to his house, safe and sound. Unboxed it, plugged it in, followed instructions in the booklet of turning on the keyboard first, then the mouse, then the power button on the back of the display......nothing. The box was in perfect condition, not even so much as a scuff mark anywhere on it.

No chime, no power, no nothing. Tried another outlet, even without the surge protector....nothing.

Being a very proud owner of a Mac Pro, I didn't expect this in the least. We opened a claim on apple.com to have a rep call us, to which they called us promptly at the time we setup. Explained the whole situation, she said there is really nothing that can be done, that the unit had to go back to the Apple Store to get swapped out with another one. The problem is, this one was the last one in the store, who knows when there will be more.

Found quite a few hits on Google about imacs being dead on arrival, or not powering up, or working for a few hours/days and then quitting. This whole scenario makes me very glad I opted for the Mac Pro over the iMac when I was in the market for one last year.

I know Apple has very good customer service, and that they will make things right for my friends. I just hope the next one works for them.

UrFatMom

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2009
Damn that's really not nice. After all that wait... I hope they give you something nice in return, like a gift card...

DawgMac

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2009
I received my iMac i7 on Friday the 13th nonetheless. It did boot up the first time, but after locking up while setting up a new user account and having to force a shutdown, it didn't startup again. Black screen, no chime. I tried resetting the SMC, zapping PRAM, reseating memory with no effect. Bummer...

I contacted Apple the next morning and got an RMA number about 2 hours later. Three hours later, the iMac was headed back to Apple.

The online status shows a replacement delivery date of 1 Dec! I sincerely hope not since I ordered my machine on 20 October, the day they were introduced. However, just on a whim, I called Apple to find out when it would ship. The automated system stated that my replacement iMac was "prepared for shipment". We'll see...

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
my new i7 works but every 2 hours the screen begins to have flickering. 2 inch tall bands appear across the width of the screen in random places for a few milliseconds every one or two minutes. every five or so minutes the entire screen goes black for one second then reappears. hundreds of folks are reporting this on apple.com and resetting the pram during boot fixes the issue for me for a few hours before it returns. now i am wondering if i should return the computer for a new one via apple.com (can't do it at the store, order custom from apple online) and deal with what appears to be a 3-4 week turnaround or hope for a software/firmware fix to the issue which may possibly be in every 27 inch imac, even a future new one i would get as a replacement.

i have owned a first gen intel iMac and santa rosa gen macbook and both have been rock solid for years. this is so, so disappointing considering the magnitude of people reporting the problems it hints at poor design and quality control in the first place.

gpvtxgirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 14, 2009
Update: Well, I'm still mad and I still haven't received this email with a return authorization label. I spoke to Apple Customer Relations this morning and was told that ideally the person I spoke to on Saturday should have told me I wouldn't get it before Monday at the earliest. The customer relations lady said now I should get this email "with 24 to 48 hours". That's completely absurd. And that only after they receive the dead computer back will they begin to make me a new one which should take approximately 7 business days. We'll see what actually does happen and if the new one works when it shows up.

This has been and continues to be an enormous waste of my time.

NFLBlitze1

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2008
Update: Well, I'm still mad and I still haven't received this email with a return authorization label. I spoke to Apple Customer Relations this morning and was told that ideally the person I spoke to on Saturday should have told me I wouldn't get it before Monday at the earliest. The customer relations lady said now I should get this email "with 24 to 48 hours". That's completely absurd. And that only after they receive the dead computer back will they begin to make me a new one which should take approximately 7 business days. We'll see what actually does happen and if the new one works when it shows up.

This has been and continues to be an enormous waste of my time.

ask for a refund.

although i sympathize with you, with large scale productions things like this are to be expected even with apple.

however, the return shipping label issue. my friend just got his i7 (today) and it was DOA, he called apple and they sent him the return shipping label today and already sent his back.

So i think you just need to be more curt with whoever ur talking to.

duluskov

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
I receveid my new i7 1tb today but it also dead. Try change power cables from my old pc
do not work at all. Contacted apple store UK and aked them for free upgrade to 2tb. I should get respond in next 24h.

jtchambliss

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2007
Corrales, NM
My 27", i7 iMac arrived yesterday DOA too! I ordered on Oct 20. Left bottom of display was cracked! No damage to exterior or interior box. Spent 60 minutes on the phone with Sales Support and then received two different RMA numbers. Finally, I was told a replacement wouldn't be shipped out for three more weeks!

Wow...that's exactly what happened to my i7 that I received on the 13th. A semi-circular crack on the bottom left glass. I didn't even boot it up. The rep I spoke with Friday said I would receive a box Saturday. No box came so I called today and they said that I will receive a FedEx shipping label. As soon as it scans, my replacement order starts. Major bummer.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
ask for a refund.

although i sympathize with you, with large scale productions things like this are to be expected even with apple.

however, the return shipping label issue. my friend just got his i7 (today) and it was DOA, he called apple and they sent him the return shipping label today and already sent his back.

So i think you just need to be more curt with whoever ur talking to.

Actually, that would extend the pain much longer.

If they are screwing up an RMA label for a DOA machine, a refund would likely take over 4-6 weeks to process. :p

Likely with all the problems getting a DOA processed they should be tossing in a freebie.

zek72

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
I received my iMac i7 on Friday the 13th nonetheless. It did boot up the first time, but after locking up while setting up a new user account and having to force a shutdown, it didn't startup again. Black screen, no chime. I tried resetting the SMC, zapping PRAM, reseating memory with no effect. Bummer...

I contacted Apple the next morning and got an RMA number about 2 hours later. Three hours later, the iMac was headed back to Apple.

The online status shows a replacement delivery date of 1 Dec! I sincerely hope not since I ordered my machine on 20 October, the day they were introduced. However, just on a whim, I called Apple to find out when it would ship. The automated system stated that my replacement iMac was "prepared for shipment". We'll see...

That's very similar to what I'm being told for a replacement date as my iMac that was delivered damaged - Dec 1!! Sales Support initially said a replacement would arrive within a week of receiving my returned iMac and then I'm told December 1 is the earliest replacement delivery date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.