Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
So I just got my dad a powermac g5 dual 2.0 ppc. It doesnt have an airport card installed and I was wondering if anyone has ever installed a linksys or d-link wireless pci card in one? Thanks for info guys! :)

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
No i haven't, at least not on a PowerMac G5. I did do this however on an older PowerMac G3 MT a long time ago. It worked but didn't have that great of a signal, or maybe range?

If you are considering buying one, i would first look into finding an Airport Express card, on LEMswap or maybe even here. I think the G5 will have a better antenna, since it wraps around the case on the inside. I think you should be able to find one cheap enough, i just bought one not long ago for $25.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Thanks for the info. I might pick up a generic on cheap pci card and try if it doesnt work return it. I don't want to have to run the antena around the case and find a airport card.

gugucom

macrumors 68020
May 21, 2009
Munich, Germany
You can use any card that uses a Ralink chip. They do very good 300 Mbit/s cards with MIMO technology and three external antenna on the PCI backplane. You can also get USB 2.0 sticks with 300 Mbit/s technology and extension socket. Those do work almost as well. For the high speed versions it is 25-40€ here in Europe. Ralink provide Mac drivers on their web site. Google for products with their chips inside.

http://www.kab24.de/kabel-adapter/artnr~63016~func~detail~wkid~1.html

http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/a404243.html

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Thank you for the replies. I think what im going to do is move my linksys range extender to where the powermac will be and use the front mount ethernet adapter and have a direct connection. Save some $$ :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.