Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
In the past and currently I put 2 types of systems on eBay. Macintosh Quadra 840av's and Power Mac 7100/80 with G3 cards installed. Everytime people fight over the Quadra's but leave the Power Macs alone. Am I missing something here, an older system better than the newer model? Enlighten me please!

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Isn't the 7100 the Butthead Astronomer model? I'd own one just for that.

With SCSI drives, NuBus ports, ADB, and funky non-vga connectors for vga monitors on both models I'd say people are going for the oldest model that will still run acceptably well--maybe for bragging rights. Then again, who wants to be on OS 8 forever. At least you can run 9.1 on the 7100.

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
It might be because the Quadra is a tower and has the av card, whereas the 7100 is a desktop box and has no av card (unless you have the 7100av).

I have never liked the desktop box designs like the 7100 as much as towers, maybe other people feel the same

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Actually, one of the current 7100 systems is an AV model. I'm thinking of the desktop vs. tower theory however, why take a speed and upgrade decrease just for the tower shape?

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
More than likely its the AV portion. Many musicians have cards and accessories that require the 840AV more so than the upgraded 7100.

It also depends on how you listed it. The 840 was an AV model and is often searched for with that combo. The 7100 was rarely an AV model, so you need to feature that capability.

Could be bragging rights as well.

More than likely it is the need for a specialized platform like the 040 or early PPC chip. I work in a lab environment and many devices we have only run in 7.5.5 or 8.0 with old macs. So, they may use G5s for work, but to analyze DNA or play music they need the old models.

Rabidjade said:
In the past and currently I put 2 types of systems on eBay. Macintosh Quadra 840av's and Power Mac 7100/80 with G3 cards installed. Everytime people fight over the Quadra's but leave the Power Macs alone. Am I missing something here, an older system better than the newer model? Enlighten me please!

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Wierd, in the past I got higher prices on the Quadra and sometimes the 7100's go untouched. Ohh well.

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
Horrortaxi said:

aw, crap. the 7100/80 AV was my first Mac and i never knew that. i had heard the BHA story, but didn't realize that it was related to the 7100.

either that or i forgot.

interesting that Quadras are still hot items and that AV makes it more desirable. i donated my 7100 AV to some charity. hmmm, i should have eBay'ed it.

Rabidjade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
If the 7100 upgrade cards weren't software enabled only, I would keep a few for tinkering. I got a few 333mhz umax systems to do that with.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
Horrortaxi said:

! I forgot about the Butthead Astronomer, you made me laugh! :D

Who knows, it could also be that people look to Quadra's more for nostaligic reasons, and besides, PowerMacs are probably easier to find more of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.