Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tommigun

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Hello,
I have a problem. I just restored my iTunes library to my new Mac, and now iTunes wants to overwrite my iPod with a snapshot of the backup every time I try to sync. I wouldn't mind redownloading the applications, but I have a lot of games and I don't want the save files to be overwritten. The iPod's snapshot is months old so I have purchased a lot of applications and played a lot since the backup was done.

The dialog I get says:
The iPod is synced with another iTunes library. Do you want to erase this iPod and sync with this iTunes library?
An iPod can be synced with only one iTunes library at a time. Erasing and syncing replaces the contents of this iPod with the contents of this iTunes library.

Is there any way of forcing iTunes to copy data FROM my iPod instead of TO it? The only thing I really want to keep is savegame data in the apps, so i am fine with it wiping everything else. Or to rephrase, how do I make the iPod understand that the iTunes it's talking to really IS the correct one, so that I'd get the prompt of copying the new apps from the iPod into iTunes instead?

Thanks!

Tommigun

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Ah, I guess I found a way of doing it.
File -> Transfer Purchases from iPod.

Well this is just me, but shouldn't the prompt that asked me to erase my iPod also have the above option? Kinda scary that the default behaviour is to ask to format the iPod without asking to back it up first :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.