Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muffinman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2005
San Diego, California
what's the point of printing 3.5x5 inch prints instead of 4x6? why did the 3.5x5 aspect ratio come about?

the reason i ask is because during my travels in korea, i purchased a set of extremely attractive photo albums that only fit 3.5x5 inch prints.

i shoot 35mm/full frame. i know there will be a small amount of cropping.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I almost think it has something to do with post card sizes but I'm not sure.
If you're set on using those albums then yes, your prints will need cropping.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
3.5" x 5" used to be a popular format in the U.S. It was superseded by 4x6 sometime by the late 70's, or thereabouts. I used it myself printing B&W in the early 70's. I'm not sure where the aspect ratio came from, but no doubt was from a popular camera (I can't seem to pin it down, though. Of course 24x36 (or 2x3) became the standard). I imagine it used to cost less for the materials, which might have kept 3.5x5 around and/or some other industry using the it.

NikkiN

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2012
I realize this is an "old" posting, but i am a photographer here in San Diego, and sell my stuff in many places. I was in the right place at the right time,and acquired over 30,000 A6 envelopes. I have always used A7 for of course i used 4 X 6 inch prints.. NOW i use whatever i chooose too.
Ritz pix, has offers of .06 cent 3.5 X 5 prints every week. So i sell my greeting cards for about .10 in supplies and maybe 15 minutes of labor for retail of 3.99 to 4.50 each whether i do the A7 or A6 size. So maybe the unique smaller size is just for me. :D Nicole Ramirez
oh i do sell those envelopes now for $20 a box including shipping and handling.
for the united states....... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.