Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
It has bluetooth...............

....but why?

Its like the iPod Touch having bluetooth i'm guessing. on the touch i've used it once to play an air hockey game with a friend while he was on his touch...but thats it.

Is this the kind of limitation we're seeing with bluetooth, why even add it to the ipad or touch?

Imagine if the ipad allowed you to connect your magic/mighty mouse? or wireless keyboard?

I guess im asking as to the general consensus re: the matter.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
yeah but if you look at it it is not the actual apple wireless board. It is a dock attached to a different apple keyboard so it looks like you have to buy it as a set?

Archive

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2007
you can get just the dock (w/o keyboard) if you already have the wireless keyboad.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It's not going to support the Magic Mouse, the iPhone OS has no mouse support because it is built for touchscreen devices.

You'll be able to use it for multiplayer and headsets/car stereos like the iPod and iPhone. The main addition is wireless keyboards.

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Mouse is pointless on a designed for touch interface.

It would be as pointless as a touch interface on mouse driven OS like MS Windows.

LaNex

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
What interests me is how much of the ui / os will one be able to control with the keyboard ? I read somewhere that someone at the hands on party after the keynote had a brief play and said that text entry obviously worked with the keyboard (doh), and I believe they said you could tab to the next field. But what about keyboard control to navigate the home screen, and in app navigation ?

Quite interested in this, as at times I'll be using the iPad with the voiceover screen reader - and my s.o. will be using it exclusively with it. A laptop or desktop mac can be controlled via the keyboard when using voiceover - easier to do if you're blind than a mouse pointer of course. Keyboard navigation gives you a sequence of options for menus and such like which can remain constant, instead of a mouse pointer which needs you to know exactly where on the screen you are wanting to select, for which you usually need to be able to see it.
Some apps are accessible on the iphone 3gs with voiceover (all the stock Apple ones are, and often third party apps are too), and although on the iphone you use your finger to roll over the items and they are announced (then you double tap to confirm the selection most of the time), it strikes me as if with a keyboard attached to the iPad that switching from keyboard use to "finger on the screen" use might be a bit tiresome after a while. Whether you can see and are not using voiceover, or not.
If I've got my hands on the keyboard of a non iphone OS mac, that's how I navigate. It would seem the natural thing to do under the circumstances (for me). But there again, so far I've never known anything else, so ... maybe text entry only with a keyboard then poking the screen to navigate after a while will become the most natural thing in the world.

As with all of the things we don't yet know about the iPad, I guess we'll wait and see.

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
The bluetooth will support the wireless keyboard. However, it won't support the Magic Mouse, because the device has a touch-desgined interface.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
This made me wonder, could someone made an app and add support for a mouse within the app? Say, someone makes a VNC app, and adds support for any bluebooth mouse into the app so that you can use a mouse when using OS X/Windows/Whatever in it?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
If you can portal into your mac, then a mouse would be key.

I find with Jaadu VNC on ipod touch, that it works really well with just touch controls. ipad should be even better.

I'm sure there are some apps which would perform better if you had a mouse, but I haven't found any major limitations yet. Only issue is the keyboard, which takes up a huge amount of the screen. Ipad should improve that a lot, and the option of a bluetooth keyboard (which I have) makes even text heavy use workable

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.